1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wolf Cape Rehydrating / Dry Preservative?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Wild Life, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Wild Life

Wild Life New Member

Hi my name is Rick, I have got a XL wolf cape that was nicely fleshed with eyes and mouth split with ears turned. It was salted stretched and dried. The few deer heads I have done, I only prepped the green hide and used dry preserve or krowtan to mount. I never mounted a salted dried hide before. My question is what is the best way to rehydrate and once I do can I used dry preservative on it to mount?

Appreciate any advise,

Rick

Attached Files:

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Water is all you need. Now there are many different additives that we use but that’s used for stubborn skins but water will do

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.

3. Wild Life

Wild Life New Member

Thanks alot

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Frank is right. I always love it when a question can be answered as simple as that. With one word. Water. Most of the time, there is no simple answer, so when there is one, it is nice.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I didn't fully answer your question. Yes, you can still use DP on it. Once it is rehydrated it becomes a raw green cape.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Unless you live wher these critter are easy available. I'd strongly encourage you to roll it up gently, put it in a large box and ship it to a top-end tannery for a dry tan. Wolve with prime winter pelts trap a lot of crap in that hair. A professional dry tan includes a complete wash and "brighteners" added to the tumbler will insure a shiny, fluffy mount.

7. James Lanza

James Lanza New Member

NYS
    Hi George , yes listen to what George says you should be shipping all your skins to a professional tannery then when you want to Rehydrate the skin use salt and water hang it and let it drain then if you don't want to mount it right away roll it up and freeze it.