1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can I Save My Hides?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Kylee, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Kylee

Kylee New Member

Hi guys, I ordered two absolutely gorgeous black coyotes and they were being shipped to me frozen raw with the head,feet, and tail kept in. They were deep freezed for a couple days before shipping.

Turns out Ups lost the package and it won’t be here until Monday 11/16/20. They were shipped on 11/10/20.

Is there any chance I can salvage them? Stop hair slippage and rotting? I wanted to mount them... any chance I still could...?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you guys!!

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Sorry but nobody can answer that.
    You’ll have to assess the situation when you get it in. From there skin out, check for slippage,smell etc.
    if I had stop rot on hand I would be using it.

George likes this.

3. Kylee

Kylee New Member

Should I throw it into the freezer again as soon as I receive it to let it freeze again? Or maybe throw it straight into a pickle solution or rub it down with salt?

4. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

Kylie I’m located in Missouri don’t know where you are but if you will call me at 4176508091 my cell
    I will try to help you

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Don’t refreeze , get skinned and salted ASAP then throw in pickle next day . And yes use stop rot .

6. It happened to me a few years back. My package did not arrived on time. It was late by about the same amount of days as yours. It was a red fox ,pine marten and a few squirrels. The package was well insulated, it was winter time as well but more important the fox was not skinned.As soon as it came I threw them whole in the pickle with out skinning.. Came out fine.
    Go on youtube and type "THAWING in a PICKLE Thawing Thru Tanning Series" by Brian Hendricks. Even though yours wont be frozen the tutorial is great! Good luck!

7. Kylee

Kylee New Member

I watch all Brains videos over and over! I absolutely love the Thawing through tanning series!

thank you so much for your response!

8. Kylee

Kylee New Member

*Brian’s*^^