1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Will Animals Be Good?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Borzoi Boy, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Borzoi Boy

Borzoi Boy New Member

I had a mink fox coyote raccoon and possum shipped to me yesterday and they are supposed to arrive Friday? Will they be ok? Or when they get here should I even bother opening the box, thank you for any answers! Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

msestak likes this.
  2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First off you need to tell us, whole, skinned, skinned salted, frozen, fresh etc.
    This way we can assist you better but if their frozen you’ll be fine but get to work on them ASAP

msestak likes this.

3. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

See how they smell and get them skinned asap and into a pickle. Stop rot be your good friend as well.

msestak likes this.
  4. Borzoi Boy

Borzoi Boy New Member

Frozen whole

msestak likes this.
  5. Borzoi Boy

Borzoi Boy New Member

Stoprot is Sold out on the website,,

msestak likes this.
  6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

They’ll probably be thawed and hopefully the person sending them to you took good care of the specimens prior to freezing.
    As said skin ASAP making sure and hopefully nothing turned green and everything is intact. Skin, flesh, salt dry and go from there or you can use a saltbrine also if your going from raw to a pickle.

Johnnyclyde, msestak and Mike Powell like this.
  7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The mink, raccoon and possum will be the most likely to be ok. It's gonna be real iffy on the coyote and fox. Shipping facilities are not heated, and there is a chance they will be OK....refrigerate or place in a cool environment immediately. Be ready to skin like a mad hatter when they arrive...skinning order...coyote, fox, possum, raccoon, and mink.

8. Borzoi Boy

Borzoi Boy New Member

Thank you!

msestak likes this.
  9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I just looked at five suppliers that sell Stop-Rot. Surely one of those has it available. Scroll down at the bottom of this page and click on suppliers.

msestak likes this.
  10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

If they were packaged and insulated carefully, they will probably be OK. The coyote and the fox may have a little green in the belly area but that doesn’t mean they’re ruined - yet. It just means you need to hurry. Use the order Joey gave you. If you don’t have StopRot spray some Denatured Alcohol on those areas and on the ears (the first place some predators start to slip). When you get to the mink, REMEMBER, they are in the same family as skunks and they have a gland with musk scent stronger IMO than skunks. DO NOT cut that gland!!! Been there and done that and I dearly wish someone had warned me before I started skinning that rascal. :)

Johnnyclyde and msestak like this.
  11. Borzoi Boy

Borzoi Boy New Member

Oh? Where are minks scent gland

msestak likes this.
  12. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

On their butt under their tail. Be careful not to squeeze them when you strip the tail out either. Did that once and nobody wanted to come in my shop and hang out anymore.

msestak likes this.
  13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Musk glands on many animals are on each side of the colon, distal to the anus. Plug the anus with cotton before you start, and cut a circle in the skin around the anus. It's no fun to get that aroma on you...coyotes, foxes, dogs, skunks, mink, otter, and all snakes have them.