1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flight Web

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Bryan, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Bryan

Bryan Member

Alright need to step up my work on the flight webs. What techniques are working out. Had a few feather lift on me lately

upload_2020-11-18_18-40-52.jpeg

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Carding

BrookeSFD16 and George like this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

There was some market for magnetic tape. The problem with that crap is that the magnetism isn't strong enough. What I did was cut posterboard carding straps. I bought several packages of "super magnets" from Harbor Freight. I would tape 12 gauge wire on one card with masking tape and then use several super magnets to hold the cards together. I could then bend the wired card in any contour I wanted.
    In retrospect I should have used rat wire that WASCO sells for fish fins and covered both sides with duct tape. The magnets would have stayed in place better.

4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

inject a small amount of water in those area to soften up the skin and when it softens, preen those feathers back into position, lay a piece of thin cardboard over them and put a hair clip, clothespin or paper clip on it. Then preen the underneath feather and do the same. One hairclip can get both sides.

For the cardboard I use soda pop cartons cut to size and use the uncolored side against the feathers

3bears likes this.