1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rebuilding Elk Antlers

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Leland, Nov 19, 2020.

1. I have a set of elk antlers that one side is broken off about 1/2 way down. Customer wants me to mirror the bad side to the good one. My question is would you use sculp all,magic sculpt,are all game epoxy for a job this big thanks

2. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I would find a donor antler and graft it together and blend the repair. Sculpting half an elk would be time consuming at best. Better yet find a whole side that matches and swap it for the broken side

Richard C likes this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Using the good side I would cast each point separately by making a silicone mold , then make a silicone mold of the main beam , after it dried I would cut a slit and remove the silicone molds , make a jig to hold the main beam mold so it bent the opposite way and cast a main beam and each point separately, then pcs it all back together. It would be a mirror image as you copied it

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  4. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

tazzymoto is absolutely correct in how to go about it

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Acquiring a mirror image to the other side may be more difficult than one would think. It would be the easiest way to go though.

13 point's way, although more difficult, would give you the mirror image you ask for. I read an article by Eric Carter in Taxidermy Today Magazine on how to do it. It's a time/money consuming way to go about it. Sculpting one side out of Apoxie sculpt would be a chore on a forked horn deer, let alone a bull elk. I know someone who did it on a moose and the time/money involved was astronomical.

6. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Unless it's a non typical you should be able to find one really close to what you need.

7. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

again I agree with Tazzy, and unless you are some kind of a sculpting God , you will never pull off sculpting an antler that looks convincing