1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Impala Spine Tuft

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Queenofsticks, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Queenofsticks

Queenofsticks New Member

I have an impala skin mounted on my wall. It spent many years layed flat with other skins on it. How do I fix the spine tuft so it sits up straight? It's really been bothering me.

Flat iron? Blow dryer? Something I'm not thinking of? What temperature settings do I use? I have no experience with skins. I come from a doll customization background.

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Are you sure it’s an impala? I’m not aware of a spine tuft on impala. Can you post a photo? Regardless, it may be difficult to get the hair to stand up, but there may be somethings you could do. It would help to know if we’re talking about a mane or a tuft of hair as in the Springbok, which has a fold skin along the spine in the hip area.

3. Queenofsticks

Queenofsticks New Member

I have tried several times to add the picture, but it won't upload it for some reason. I'll try again with this comment. My bf said impala so I just went with it lol. It's a tuft of fur along the spine, like longer fur than the fur around it. The fur is line a bullseye of white on the belly, then dark brown, then tan for most of the hide, with a white spine tuft.

4. Queenofsticks

Queenofsticks New Member

I think it's an Ibex, making the spinal tuft part of the neck area? This would be consistent with our location (Texas) and the fact that it came with a ram's head (same hunter). I don't think there's much I can do after looking at photos of Ibex on Google. The fur on the actual animals isn't sticking up straight either. Thank you for the help!

5. Queenofsticks

Queenofsticks New Member

Mmm I just looked again and the brown stripes are only on the belly, not the legs like the Ibex pictures I saw on Google. The tuft is definitely near the butt. So, no idea at this point. I'll see if I can add a pic with my computer (I'm on mobile).

6. Queenofsticks

Queenofsticks New Member

Okay so I didn't realize sprinkbok was an animal. Yes, that is the animal I have.

7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Depending on how it was tanned, and how tight they stretched it out, you may be able to push the skin of the fold that the tuft of fur is tucked into out making the hair stand up some. Once tanned the hair follicles are set and hard to re-position. You might be able to move them a little by hydrating the area of skin around the tuft by soaking the area in water a bowl of water. Then wrap place a damp cloth over the area and let it sit overnight. Then brush the hair up and card it in position - place the standing hair in between two strips of cardboard and use clothespins or large paper clips to hold the cardboard strips together pinning the hair upright as the skin dries. Good luck!