1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My 2 Bears

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by NatTucker, Nov 20, 2020.

1. NatTucker

NatTucker New Member

Hey everyone! I am totally a beginner at this and am wondering how to skin a bear's paws for the tannery.
    Last summer I tried my first bear and had cut up the footpads which were really annoying to sew up. I left one paw 'whole' to the wrist and it was much easier and time saving. (bear #1 was a fail - I tried to tan it myself) SO with bear #2, I'd like to send it away to be tanned. Hoping I can just cut up to the wrist then flip inside out and send it to the tannery that way? Thanks for any advice on this you can give!

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Go around the inside leaving 1/8 hair on the pad and between pad and toes leaving the same . Now the pad will open like a door kinda not being cut on the outside. Now it’s even easy to get to the last toe nuckle at claw .

George and Frank E. Kotula like this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

There are many ways as stated above is one . I like to split the pad in the center, skin down a bit, then I can the hang the foot, pull down on the skin and skin out the toes that way. Then when it’s mounted and dry, epoxy but I also have rubber molds of feet detail so that I can pres them in and paint.

George and 3bears like this.
  4. NatTucker

NatTucker New Member

so, you don't find the sewing in that area too bad?

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Nope , your leaving a little skinHair line on pad so your not stitch into pad , take 3-4 stitch loops and pull tight and repeat. Very easy and fast . It’s really good if that foot is not an attachment foot

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I never sewed them. I had an electric upholstery stapler. I would cut off all the toes from the form and the epoxy a small quarter inch disk in the palm area of the pad. Of fill the toes with clay a and then lay a cigar size roll of clay over the cut off toe area. I also put a puck of clay over the plywood that would allow me to make it look "full". I'd shape the foot and drive quarter inch, 9/16 shank staples through the pads into the plywood. The offset stapes locke them down and I began stitching at the wrist. Ehe the mount dried, I used black Apoxie and textured it with terrycloth. Airbrushing made it unnoticeable.