1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help On Whisker Buds

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Whitelightnin, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin Active Member

Hello guys I am doing a coyote mount for my friend and I am curious on if it’s possible to flesh the whisker buds without damaging them? Possibly with a wire wheel? Scalpeling the tissue away of course is too tedious of a process. Ive read about some who pluck the whiskers and glue them back in. If I could avoid this I would prefer to but if it is the best option than I will do so. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Pull them out and put on a pcs of tape or stick them in some clay to remember the order , then fleshing is easily

Whitelightnin likes this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

After you mount it and it dries , just take a pin and push a hole where whiskers belong dip end in a tad of crazy glue gel and insert in hole , just make sure you have the bend or arch of whiskers are hanging down

Whitelightnin likes this.
  4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I always used a wire wheel to flesh the out. When I mounted the, I'd put a quarter sized dollop of clay on the muzzle. When I was finishing, I'd take a register and reset each whisker. I felt it gave the critter a fuller, more natural look.

5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I've done both of the techniques on my small animals and now have settled to pulling and reinstalling them

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I always cross hatched the meat between the whisker butts before fleshing them.

George likes this.