1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cape Stretch Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Slate Run, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

Just wondering if it would hurt to dampen a wet tanned cape with a rag and warm water to try to gat a little more stretch in the cape? Didn't know if just using water would case any reaction with the tan as far as swelling or if something should be added to the water. Thought I read somewhere that some guys run warm water over their capes to help with getting stretch but I may be wrong.

2. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

i usually don't work with wet tans, so don't know how well it will work on a wet tan, but I do the hot water trick on African skins occasionally and I wouldn't hesitate to try it on a wet tan. I spray really hot tap water on the non-hair side from the ears on down, not including the head and ears. Wring the water out with your hands, stretch for width, then get it on the form. Don't delay getting it sewn up because it will shrink a little if you let it sit on the workbench for awhile.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

My tannery recommends misting tanned skins with water and a little baking soda. I use a teaspoon of baking soda in a quart of water. Mist heavy, stretch, and mount. Wetting a tanned skin will not harm it.

jessewild and George like this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A little salt in the water will prevent any acid swelling.

George likes this.