1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can You Preserve/taxidermy A Dead Bird By Freezing?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by tejas34, Nov 24, 2020.

1. tejas34

tejas34 New Member

I have a few dead birds that I have in the freezer and I just wanted to ask if it’s possible that freezing them could preserve them, just like it does with lizards? One of them is a baby bird I found dead and was wondering if that one in particular could be preserved just by having it in the freezer for a while.

If they can’t be preserved by freezing, then how else could I preserve them, especially the baby? I’m worried that skinning or handling him too much could tear off the fragile down feathers..
    192.168.o.1 192.168.0.1 tp link login

What do I do? I don’t know much about bird taxidermy :(

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  2. Eivind.utstopping

Eivind.utstopping New Member

I dont think its possible to freezedry birds in a normal freezer. Skinning the birds is not that hard there is lots of information on the internet and on this forum how to go about skinning and mounting a bird. i would give it a try! :)

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

On a small specimen, you would need to remove the vital organs, and inject the muscle tissue with formalin. Don't forget to inject the brain. Place glass eyes in the orbit without removing the actual eyes, and pin in place Position as desired, and place uncovered in a freezer for a year. I have a friend who successfully does his own turkey heads in this manner. Expect some shrinkage. It will be far from perfect, but preserved.

4. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

I have routinely skin mounted very small birds. I have done a few hummingbirds for parks that way. It’s a very tedious job so start fresh one day and work as long as you can . As soon as you get frustrated quit and place bird in something airtight and get it frozen. I wear gloves and use tweezers and fine scalpel and try to avoid my hands touching the bird thus keeping the heat transfer to a minimum. I also keep a spray bottle of alcohol close by and will use it often. I absolutely remove the brain and eyes and as much meat as possible and inject formalin as needed.
    Make sure the birds you pick up are legal too.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

As stated make sure what you have in your possession is legal to have . Doesn’t matter if it’s a baby or full grown .

magicmick likes this.
  6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As others have mentioned above, you don't say what country you are in, but if you are in the USA and these were wild birds from outside, chances are great that what you have is illegal to poses and you should get rid of them. What species are they?

You can long term freeze them as is also mentioned above but expect them to be targeted immediately by insects unless you set them in a container with insecticide for display. The use of formalin might make them less tasty.