1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Xtra Long Cut Cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tmdennis, Nov 26, 2020.

1. tmdennis

tmdennis New Member

I received a w/t cape to mount that was caped out of state by another taxidermist. Used Y cut but for some reason(unexplainable) split the cape all the way down the back! I know I can sew it but never did one like this. Do I start with antler burrs and then Y, then continue down back? Do head as explained then start at back and sew to head? Maybe pin seam in place? Guess I'm worried about the best way to keep the seam even and straight. Thanks for suggestions and any help with this! Also Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

2. countrycritter

countrycritter Active Member

Texas
    Lay it out on your work table and line all the cuts up. Start sewing where you would have stopped cutting down the back of the neck. Sew all the way down tie it off Now it's a normal short Y incision. I get several like this a year. Presewing makes it easier for me.

Don

Dcdeerhunter likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I do as countrycrutter suggested, I sew from the skin side. The cape is laid out in a tube with the hair side in and I sew from the bottom to were I want the Y to start. You could also start at the Y end and work your way down too. I have done both and prefer to start from the bottom and work up to the Y end.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I do the same. I temporarily stitch the cape at the bottom of the V. Then, I invert, skin side out, hang it by its nose, and begin stitching about 6 inches down. I use a whip stitch, and lock it at 6” intervals. I can do one in just a few minutes.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

There is an explanation for cutting all the way down the back. In the field, it is much easier and therefore much faster. I usually get my deer 3 to 6 miles into a walk in unit. Usually in a deep canyon, so speed and ease for boning it out is what is needed and splitting it all the way is a plus in the field. Especially when no trees to hang it are near by.
    A 6 to 12 mile round trip to and from the area and at least a mile or two hunting it is taxing, so every little bit of ease then is worth the little bit of inconvenience later.

Lil critters, Westcoast and Keith like this.
  6. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

IMHO, and this pertains to commercial taxidermy, and from 35+ years of taxidermy....
    We split all our hides down the back. The whole process is faster, from skinning, fleshing, fitting to the form. The small amount of time saved in the not sewing a seam is massively consumed and then some, in keeping the short Y incision.

For competition and really short haired early season, then a short Y is nice.

qltycapes, Westcoast and TLN like this.
  7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

58E88021-5DD1-42D3-B807-0683CAC9F97A.jpeg DF13B60F-FE64-49DC-A13F-14A37A1B30D8.jpeg 15CD4D87-48C7-4537-8391-C75880771B17.jpeg

tmdennis likes this.
  8. tmdennis

tmdennis New Member

Thank You all for the help! I don't know why I didn't think of sewing first, so simple!! Was so worried about cape hanging off form with hide paste everywhere and a seam that stuck out like train tracks in the desert I couldn't think 'outside the box'! Excellent pics Joeym, Thank You so much!!

9. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

So much easier to just sew it after it's on the form starting from the antlers down. Everything lines up that way. I dont know why people think it has to be together to put it on the mannikin. I did them all that way and you would be hard pressed to notice a seam.

qltycapes likes this.