1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dusky Blue Grouse Air Sacks ?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Tanglewood Taxidermy, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I want to mount one of the blue grouse I killed on my elk hunt and although it was killed in the fall, I want to mount it displaying.
    I can not find a resource on how to do the air sacks. My plan, if I can't find some instruction, is to purchase artificial ones as reference and model foam ones to place on the neck. Use Apoxie-Sculpt to make the texture, paint, install when I mount it and pin and card the feathers around it to dry to expose the air sacks. I might just use the artificial ones.
    Is there more to it than that?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Never seen a dusky blue grouse but I carve prairie chicken air sacs out of foam and coat with a layer of loctite power grab and then texture with wet brushes and sculpting tools. Let them set up mount bird pin them in place til dry remove and paint and then glue them in place and groom.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    PS I found the sacs I ordered were too damn heavy and big for most any of the birds I've done.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Thanks for the input. Those artificial air sacks they sell looked like the would be heavy. I was mainly going to purchase them for reference in size and shape, so it's good to know I'm on the right track.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I have read the wingtips by wingman, but the pictures have been removed and I am a visual learner. I remember seeing an article in either Breakthrough or Taxidermy Today, but so far I can't find it by going through my years and years of magazines and I don't see it in the past issues index. I have not been able to find a video either at suppliers websites or on Youtube.

6. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Have you seen this thread. Bunch of info and links
    Thread

7. Wildthings

I was able to grab the photobucket pictures from Lisa M post #13. Here they are:
    blue.png
    sacks.png

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Thank you! I have a pretty good idea as to what my course of action will be and your post is heplful.

First, Breakthrough Magazine's website finally started working again, so I was able to find which magazine the airsacks article by David Luke and Eugene Streeksta.

I will order a blue grouse neck from a supplier as well as airsacks and combs to use as reference of size and shape and make my own.

I have tons of reference, so I have a good handle on what the outside looks like. I just needed a little insight to what the inside should look like to achieve the outside look.

Thanks agin for the input.

Wildthings likes this.
  9. Wildthings

pictures of the process are required!