1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull Yellowing

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by BearBonz, Nov 30, 2020.

1. I do A LOT of bear skulls, and even after 4-6 mo in dawn at 115°, and a good peroxide bath, about 1 in 3 have a yellow tint. It’s not grease, water is totally clear and usually that way for a couple water changes. I’ve also tried iron out which once in a while works. Any suggestions?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Clear water does not necessarily mean no grease. Your temp is right if your thermometer is accurate. How were they cleaned initially? Granted, some bears just seriously suck. Especially the ones that had access to human trash and dump bears. Iron Out works on old blood stains which are iron from the hemoglobin. Have you tried using ammonia or adding ammonia to the detergent mix? On some of the nightmare bears I have done, I caved in and soaked them for a month or two in straight acetone .. and then went back and soaked them in detergent/ammonia. The acetone doesn't do as much to remove grease itself (some but not all) but it does seem to alter the remaining grease chemically so the detergents can get at it.

3. Beetle cleaned. Yep I’ve do all that it’s a mystery. LOL. I also seem to blame somewhat on my hard water that’s why I try using iron out once in a while

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

How much Dawn are you adding to say .. 5 gallons of water?