1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Deer Hide Attempt- Is It Salvageable?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by markg85, Nov 30, 2020.

1. markg85

markg85 New Member

Hi!
    I recently attempted my first tan of a deer. I followed the steps listed here
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/how-to-tan-deer-hide-easy-way/
    I am getting fur slippage and what appears to be a white mold growing on the flesh side. At the moment, it only appears around the outside edges so I'm hoping I can just trim it off but combined with the slippage I'm nervous the whole thing might be ruined.
    Does anyone have any advice about possibly achieving a positive outcome?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Well this is what happens when you listen to those who don’t know what their doing and is misleading. Yes that bottle may tan here and there but you’re not the first or last that will use that junk and have issues as you did.
    Another reason it slipped is using the soap which has a high pH and that causes epidermal slippage. So almost from the beginning you failed from their write up.
    Here in this forum your going to get more help truthful help that’ll aid you more.
    These are our steps that the tanning industry uses and you can follow the same but you will need some equipment.
    Flesh till clean of all fat and meat, salt and place on an incline to drain off fluids. Next day shake off that salt and salt again, hang till dry. It will need to be rehydrated before you go to the next step but the dried cape will be fine till you have a pickle made and your equipment. Pickles can be made from vinegar to harsh acids like Formic but I will suggest you use vinegar or you can buy citric acid from a local bakery or online plus our suppliers sell another acid called saftee acid.
    When choosing a pickle please follow the directions on making it but make sure you have pH strips to make sure it’s at a 2.5 or less.
    Hydrate the hide in plain water as it may take 6-20 hrs to fully hydrate the cape, drain and place in the pickle for three days mixing twice a day ( morning and night) after that pull out to drain, then you can thin it ( it’s what we do to make it more pliable, better stretch etc but just to tan it by yourself not really necessary but make sure that all fat meat membrane have been removed. Place back in the pickle overnight and then hang drain, neutralize and use a good rub on tan that our suppliers sell. Look into these rub on tans as their done of the best, liqua-tan, by knoblochs Tru-bond 1000B by Tru-bond or Pro1 by Pro1 and when near dried it needs to be broke yo soften it up . go to try-bonds web site and you can find info their also plus find all you need with directions to properly home tan your cape.

Enjoy and hopefully next time you throw out the funnies and get the real news on how to. Sorry the happened but we all learn the hard way.

3. markg85

markg85 New Member

Hi Frank

Thank you for the reply and correct steps. I'll be sure to follow next season.

For this hide, if my plan is to just hang it on a wall is there anything I can do now or will the mold continue to spread / fur continue to fall out? Wondering if I should continue to keep it hung or just toss is out. Thank you!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

The cape must still be damp if your having mold grow. Get a fan on it and get it dried. That’ll help from any more mold growing. You can also use mold killers to stop it also.
    The only fur that will fall out it the areas affected by bacteria growth, or where the high pH could have caused it to happen but other areas will hold fine.
    Remember this, deer hair is hollow and with any abuse break and fall out