1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question About Cow Hides

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Dkost8852, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Dkost8852

Dkost8852 New Member

I received 4 cow hides from a farmer, he had salted them then folded them up and have been sitting for 10 days before I got them, I wanted to make 3 into leather, and 1 with the fur on. Does it matter that they have been sitting for ten days with salt on them (they have not been fleshed yet)

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It’ll depend on if the fluids are pooling in an area that can cause it, how thick the meat is cause it wasn’t treated properly, the way it was cared for and bacteria growing. No one can really say till you hydrate and do through the process.

Robert Baker likes this.

3. Dkost8852

Dkost8852 New Member

Maybe about a half inch thick, should I flesh them ASAP? Then salt them Again or hang them ?

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Being salted already, your probably not going to be able cause it’ll be hard. Your hides need to be hydrated and in a pickle then. Then next day you can already start working on getting the junk off. Once all done then let it sit in the pickle for the three days, thin if you can etc

5. Dkost8852

Dkost8852 New Member

Ok thank you