1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ear Forms For Deer Mounts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jigginjim, Dec 2, 2020.

1. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

You really want to get better , go see Joe Meder in Iowa pay the price and go to his coarse , call and let him know your experience and he will set up a class accordingly.

Westcoast and jigginjim like this.
  2. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Still waiting to hear who the judge was that wouldn’t critique your eyes and lip of your mount at the Minnesota show.

3. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have sent Two Private messages. to your profile account.

4. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I am looking into that, plus a couple others, where I can just bring my RV camper/ Ice castle wheel house, to set up. This would cut down on Hotel or other sleeping area costs. And if there is either ice on a area lake, fishing for dinner.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LMAO livbucks. You mean them "grinners"?

livbucks likes this.
  6. ramssl

ramssl New Member

I am trying to learn and just wondering what he did wrong. can someone please explain? Is it because of the ear butts he used or the way the hair is laying? To me it doesn't look like a complete train wreck lol other then the hair not laying right, but that's why I'm trying to learn what you guys are talking about. I can see the eyes not having the tear ducks and it looks like a little too much clay but I'm not hear to criticize anyone's work that's for sure, just trying to learn.

7. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Look at any hunting show, your trail cams, or deer magazines. It’s crazy how much reference is out there that folks don’t use.

3bears likes this.
  8. ramssl

ramssl New Member

I can see it's not right the way the hair is going, I just want to know what he did wrong. Was it the ear butts he used not setting them right, the wrong form, not lining the hide up right etc?

9. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yes all of the above . His ears are wrong and most likely are drumming, the hair on the ears edge is not correct, so he has the skin in or out to far and not following the ear liners edge . His ear butts are not of the correct shape muscle wise and are not equal to each other . When a deers ears are back or alert the ear butt will have a different shape to match what the ear is doing . Hair patterns are way out , brisket is off . Eyes are not of the correct shape and tear ducts are wrong . I could go on and on . All those little things add up to a not so good mount . It’s all in the detail . As stated get good reference pics and learn to read and understand them . Section them off , like the hair above the eye , look how it lays and the direction it goes in , take the ear and study it from top to bottom and look how the hair lays in and around it and why , is it a muscle that is making it lay like that or did It just grow like that . It’s all that stuff .

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  10. ramssl

ramssl New Member

TY again 13 Point you helped me a lot tonight. I will study everything you just told me and compare that mount to some of the ones posted on here. TY again God Bless

11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

get a head from butcher and pose and set eyes card ears superglue lips pack nostrils etc then refreeze like you would for freeze drying
    then keep frozen and take out when you need fresh teference

12. George

Look, I'm probably one of the most critical people when it comes to judges. I've seen more than my share of pure, unadulterated jerks playing judge. I base that on having seen some of the very BEST judges performing their jobs. Frank Kotula is one of those people among about a dozen I've seen personally. Conversely, I'm not a big fan of some of the "experts" out there. One of them TO ME is Joe Meder. His forms simply aren't anatomically correct and anyone who uses one and doesn't alter it in some way is just not going to be a "deer" as I know one. You want to talk deer, talk to Rick Carter. He literally wrote the book (made the video "A-Z")
    Your judge just broke it down to basic language when he said it was a train wreck. Everyone doesn't have an "artistic eye" and can't break things down into the basics. Still, if you lay a picture of your deer next to a picture at a live deer, you'll instantly see. Ear butts are seldom over 2 inches if they're laid back. In the alert position they are less than one inch. The ear canal naturally connects to the skull and is quite inflexible. Its length is about one inch. The muscle groups surrounding the canal can only extend so far and if your ear opening is more than one inch from the skull, then you're pushing the limits of anatomy. Secondly, the hairs on a deer's inner ears is there to protect the canal from debris and varmints. It always folds inward and the edges of the ear must show the brown/black edges so the white hair will be inside the ear. Ear POSITION is critical. Deer's ears protect water from running down into the canal. They are rotated slightly forward to act as a roof over the canal.
    The eyes certainly need serious detail work. I'm sure the eyelashes are standing too far away from the eye as those lashes also protect the eye and should be tilted down over the eye.
    The nares of your nose are too flared. I can look at a thousand pictures of wild live deer and never see the septum and when I do, it's not a hot pink that I see on your mount.
    Grooming is a definite issue. It seems that you stretched your hide banjo tight towards the rear of the deer. This only exaggerates the imperfections of your placement.
    NOW, you deer looks just like 99% of the guys mounting their first deer. (Sadly, it looks like far too many who've been doing it much longer than you have.) Many people use the government credo of "close enough" in deer mounting. They rush through the job that takes TLC in order to get it right. When I first started, I could do a deer in less than an hour and I was done with it. Sixty years later when I retired, I was taking 4-5 hours to mount the deer and then taxiing the hide and making adjustments for the next 3 days until the glue cured and the clay dried.

I once had a sign in my shop:
    YOU CAN HAVE YOUR DEER:
    * FAST
    * CHEAP
    * GOOD
    PICK TWO!

When I decided that if they wanted it cheap or fast they should take it across town to someone else, I took the sign down.

13. now george knows deer more than Joe!!You sir are an ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. George

I know what a deer looks like. I know you're a legend in your mind as Joe is his, but if you use one of his forms and set your antlers PROPERLY BY MEASUREMENTS, it will be virtually impossible to get the ears and butts in their anatomically correct position. Show me im wrong, Mr. Legend. Put up or shut up.