1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coyote Ear Slippage

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by SchepC, Dec 3, 2020.

1. SchepC

SchepC New Member

So all I've ever mounted before was deer shoulder mounts and I just mounted my first coyote for myself and was unaware of the issues that they have with hair slippage on their ears if they are not skinned quickly and salted. So in the future I have learned what to do but the question I have is how do I fix the ear now. The back of the ear has lost several large patched of hair and on the inside it lost a big patch as well. What is the best way to fix this? The edges of the ear are pretty rough since some hair came off and other hair stayed so it's not just one big patch of hair.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First just to let you know that dogs are one of the toughest animals around that don’t slip. If it slips is because of poor care either by the client or your handling along with heat and bacteria. I’ve had these guys with such a pretty green blue flesh and never had an issue.
    With that said you have a few options here.
    One get another dog that is the same coloration and cut off the back of the ears , tan them and then cut off the bad ear and replace the backside of each ear.
    Or you can try and do some flocking to hide it. It’s never an easy fix but it can be done