1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Submersion Pump For Bucket

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by fadetoblack72, Dec 4, 2020.

1. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

Currently I have a 5 gallon bucket as my degreasing container and I’m looking at a pump that offers three sizes. 160, 400, and 660 GPH. I will be upgrading to a bigger tank at some point. I wondering which size to get.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

For now, look at the tiny pumps used for indoor fountains. Nickel and dime stuff. You don't need much for a 5 gallon bucket. Depending on the size of your future container, the 160 should be fine. You don't want a whirlpool, just enough circulation to move the water around a bit so it heats evenly.

3. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

Thanks! So that 160 will work for the 5 gallon bucket or should I search for a smaller one?

4. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Those small submersible aquarium circulation pumps work well and are inexpensive.

fadetoblack72 likes this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    look on amazon for cheap pond pumps, I think they under 8 bucks, they work just fine for just about any size tank. Like Sea wolf said you just need movement to keep the heat evened out not a bubble bath

6. Sea Wolf

It will work but see if you can adjust the water flow. You are looking for just a little bit of movement. Not a whirlpool.

And do not use aeration if it is available. Bubbles and detergent do bad things.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    sorry I was wrong on price they are now $9.99. I've gotten about a year and half out these pumps so not too expensive considering.

8. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I was doing a double boiling of sorts. Metal kettle with 3 Metal brackets to keep 6 gallon pail off the bottom of kettle. I have been using a good degreasing solution to skulls. But 10 days ago, I had a major problem. I had finished my last degreasing for the week. When this whole solution spilled over, 5 gallon of 180 degreasing solution, 3 gallon boiling water. 2nd and 3rd degree burns to my arm and hand. First degree plus burns on my stomach. Also 16 stitches to my nose. As I fell on to my portable air tank, the brass filling nozzle and gauge assembly. That's getting into the taxidermy, a bit to close.

Attached Files:

9. Sea Wolf

Sorry that you got hurt. But, at 180 degrees you are not degreasing your skulls. You are cooking them to death.

10. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

180 degrees!!!!! Sorry for your injuries. Keep the tank between 115 and 120. Fat melts between those temps and it will also save you on your electric bill.

11. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I was using a propane burner, I have the meat and fat already removed, ( either by a hot simmer, not boiling or by beetle cleaned.) These is still oils / grease to get out. I have the skulls in the solution for only 30 minutes tops.

12. trapperrev

trapperrev Member

I have a 25 gallon lick tub for degreasing.
    I was looking at the following from Amazon. 80 GPH... what kind of force can I expect? I'm not looking for a whirlpool but water movement. However, when I've worked on skeletons instead of skulls I've put each limb in a cottage cheese/ sour cream/ yogurt container. Will the force of the pump knock them over?
    https://www.amazon.com/Homasy-Submersible-Aquarium-Fountain-Powerful/dp/B00EWENMAU/

13. Sea Wolf

Too much force. Half that would be ok. Possibly there is a way to cut down the outflow? You just want the water to move a little. Not a whirlpool. You really shouldn't see the water moving much at all. It's only to even out the temperature in the larger container. ...... The website does say it has a flow control which is good. I would probably take a length of plastic tubing that fit the nozzle and use that to direct water flow.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    trapperrev likes this.
  14. trapperrev

trapperrev Member

Thanks. Though I'm feeling blind at the moment. I had searched Amazon for indoor fountain pumps and now I see there are a handful that are 50 GPH. That still seems like a lot of force. I didn't know if there was something milder on the market I was missing.