1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sika Deer Shoulder Mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by bdthorne, Dec 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. bdthorne

bdthorne New Member

I recently took in a sika deer for the first time and I was curious to know if there is any significant difference between mounting/tanning them compared to whitetails. obviously I would use a sika form and smaller dark colored WT eyes but someone told me you have to oil the hide??? not too sure about that part or what kind of oil that may be. any help and suggestions is appreciated

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

We’re did it come from ? What kind of sika is it ?

3. bdthorne

bdthorne New Member

customer killed it on the eastern shore. good size stag

4. 13 point

53C7C531-317B-4A7F-B83C-512465AA033F.jpeg E9DA6E3B-14DD-40DB-9759-D3E8CB570256.jpeg 34287307-CD90-4FB6-B819-1000BACE5701.jpeg F5D8EA5B-3CD7-42DE-B897-76C24C5F621D.jpeg So Md , call me tomorrow at 410-977-1856 , I’ll be glad to help ya I’m in Md and Sika is my specialty. But no sika have to be thinned down and should not be dry preserved but they can be tanned the same as a WTail

Glen

bdthorne likes this.
  5. bdthorne

bdthorne New Member

im from st. marys county. ok I will give you a call, thanks for reaching out.

6. 13 point

No problem, I’m on the shore send pics of stag to that number and call tomorrow take care

7. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    This thread is why this site so great! Helping others get better at this incredibly difficult art.

bigbrowns, 3bears and Wildthings like this.
  8. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

Those Sika deer are sure cool looking!

9. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

The Sika deer from Maryland's eastern shore are the smallest of the species. Imported in 1906 from Yakushima Island, Japan and then again in 1916 by two different private collectors. Maryland is the only state in the US that now has a true wild breeding population of this sub species. The Dombrowski and Manchurian are larger and Texas outfitters offer them in high fence hunts. Unfortunately, there a very few companies that offer head forms.

Westcoast likes this.