1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Creative Salvage Of A Trashed Boar Mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kate Lacour, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Kate Lacour

Kate Lacour Member

Found this mount on the curb, where varmits, sun, and rain added to the damage done by the years. Talk about an ugly mess! label says it was mounted in 1982.

I always aim for lifelike rather than rogue approach, which is not at all my cup of tea. But I think this guy is too far gone for a normal, natural-looking restoration. And he’s too scraggly to leave as-is. I’d rather give him an offbeat, funky-on-purpose look and give to one of my artist friends than send him to the dump. looking for advise on materials that could work.

I can re-sculpt around the eyes and lips with apoxie and paint as needed.

I could make ears from some leftover tanned rabbit hide and bondo into place? Hide seems too dry to sew onto.

As far as adding to the hairless areas, leave bald and just airbrush? How about the now-visible hide holes? Fill with apoxie and paint over?

thanks for your thoughts on this odd project. I know, it’s a hideous POS and doesn’t deserve to be worked on at all! :) EE1B5BB0-B78B-4759-91C9-A418BFEF5ED0.jpeg 9818669E-C90A-408F-A266-94ABD6E3AC8A.jpeg 093FF2CF-3CE5-40C1-805F-38D8174991EA.jpeg F31BAAC0-643F-4C99-9FD9-B246330BEF64.jpeg AAEF31DC-637B-46AC-9A53-90118323D889.jpeg EC8E4914-C5EA-47FC-AA05-DAA251743752.jpeg

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

The time, effort and money you will spend on that will never be rewarded economically or personal satisfaction. Some projects are just too far gone to be salvaged. And besides that, it looks like it may well be infested with insects and you run the risk of infecting other mounts in your home or shop. I humbly recommend you invest your time, energy and resources on something that will be rewarding for you. If you choose to work on it, make sure you use a good insecticide.

drob likes this.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Javalina. Soak in a drum of water, remove eyes and skin. You can reuse the eyes, and either find a skin for the mannikin, or use it to make artificial rocks. Life is too short to waste time on a hopelessly bad mount.

drob likes this.
  4. Kate Lacour

Kate Lacour Member

I was excited to have this freebie and hate wasting, but I have to admit you both are correct- it's beyond hope. RIP.
    Thanks for the reality check.

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

Sometimes things are in the trash for a good reason. This boar looks like one of them

drob likes this.