1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My Deer Skull Is Not Whitening

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Carlos Rodriquez, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Carlos Rodriquez

Carlos Rodriquez New Member

I'm working on a European mount for my boss. He found this nice buck dead, out in the woods almost completely cleaned up by critters. It had been dead for probably over a month. I boiled/simmered the skull off and on for several hours altogether with borax and dish soap. It cleaned up very well, but since it's not a fresh skull, it was very off-colored. To whiten it, I have been coating it with 35% hydrogen peroxide and sometimes (not always) even covering it with peroxide soaked paper towels, and letting it dry. I have tried this at least six times now and it just isn't turning a nice white color. Anyone have experience whitening old skulls like this? any suggestions in what different way I could really make it white (without paint, that just isn't the same)?
    First pic is before I was done cleaning, but you can see how off-colored it is.
    Second pic is after the peroxide treatments. Still quite a bit yellowed. IMG_0703.JPG IMG_0749.JPG

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Put in a soak tub of peroxide so its also penetrating from the inside , let it sit in it for a couple days .

big dan likes this.

3. Carlos Rodriquez

How much water to 35% peroxide can I dilute for a soak? or am I not supposed to dilute it.

4. Mandi

Mandi Active Member

Don't dilute

5. 13 point

I use 40 volume peroxide straight . To help get more volume just put some water bottles in your vessel with the skull as it will raise the level without diluting it

6. Vulpes Vulpes

Vulpes Vulpes Active Member

You are right on track. The skull is whitening up nicely. Do as the others suggest and it will be bright white before you know it. Wear PPE with 35% H2O2. I got 12% H2O2 on my hand for just a few seconds without realizing it. It was uncomfortable and led to a mild chemical burn.

7. Mandi

Mandi Active Member

Aww come on now, I put the 40 on my hair and don't feel a thing lol. No you should wear gloves.

8. Vulpes Vulpes

Poison control told me the oxygen bubbles were forming in the skin. Its corrosive and dries the skin out. 15 minutes under running water helped resolve it.

Attached Files:

9. Carlos Rodriquez

Okay, thanks! I'll give it a shot.

10. Qhat i do is simmer the skull, get all meat, brains, etc off. Next ise vol. 40 peroxide with whitening powder to a paste, brush on skull everywhere inside and out, next take suran wrap a d wrP skull completely. Then get it over heat not too close to birn thru suran wrap but heats what activates the whitwning process. Keep rotating it for 15 min or so. I wrap in towel and let it sit 20 min. After that i cut suran wrap off, run it under hot water in my sink making sure all solution is off. Next i take it ro the air hose and blow the water off it. Bing it inside, and let it sit at my kitchen table till dry and this is the result. Again this is what I do and it works 4 ME. 20201205_062037.jpg 20201205_062219.jpg

11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Do you have 30% peroxide? Or do you have 30 vol? Vol is not percent. Do not dilute it and soak the skull in it as above. Something that's been laying on the ground outside possibly is also mineral stained. Read up in the archives on using iron out and how to use it.

big dan likes this.
  12. Carlos Rodriquez

It's 35% peroxide.

13. Mandi

Mandi Active Member

40 volume is around 12 percent. The 35 percent should be stronger but I think it's sold as food grade. Not sure if that makes a difference. You can get some bw2 powder from any hair supply place and mix with 40 vol to help lighten.

14. Sea Wolf

In the meantime, you get to exercise your vocabulary of bad words.

15. Sea Wolf

That would be the food grade stuff. Be careful diluting it. There have been several incidences similar to the story at the top of this forum because it was (unknowingly) diluted with tap water that had a high iron content. If you are going to dilute it, treat it as the chemical it is and only use distilled water.

16. Carlos Rodriquez

I soaked the last 4 inches from the nose up in undiluted 35% peroxide for 48 hours, and It didn't whiten much more at all, so I don't feel its worth using the extra peroxide to cover the whole skull. and besides that I cant get the whole skull under peroxide without it whitening a bit of the burs on the rack anyway. What are peoples experience with bleach? I've heard it eats away at the skull and isn't a good option.

17. Vulpes Vulpes

Bleach will slowly destroy the bones. Save it for laundry.

18. Sea Wolf

Chlorine bleach is an absolute no! You need to learn how to recolor antlers as we all do it. Re staining is not hard and there are tutorials on here on how to do it. It doesn't sound like you bothered to read up on Iron Out or have tried to even use it for the staining.

19. You can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink comes to mind.

20. 13 point

I just think your trying to rush it , you need to leave it in the soak longer , it needs to get deep into the bone and you need to submerge the whole skull , and as stated learn how to recolor the base of antlers. If you don’t want to follow the help given then don’t ask for it