1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dark Color On Deer Skull After Beetles

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Dapperistdan, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Dapperistdan

Dapperistdan New Member

Mass
    I recently beetle'd a deer skull and was surprised when I saw the dark coloration on the nose. Has anybody seen anything like this? I hoped the degreasing (10 days) & whitening process (basaquil oxidizer) would completely remove it, but I still see some yellowing in the area. Any recommendations on removing the yellowing?

Attached Files:

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Soak the whole skull in Colman fuel not sure you got the grease out completely for couple days then in a bath of 40 volume peroxide. Do not cut or dilute it for a few days . Take out cover rack and set in sun to dry

3. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I had one like that I just could not remove the yellow spot. After speaking with Sea Wolf here and trying some of her expert ideas, it just wouldn't come clean. I to degrease with acetone and use Baquacil Oxidizer. I ended up airbrushing Polytranspar Bass Belly White (FP-15 Lacquer) and got it fixed. Spray lightly to cover the stain and it looks bone white. Once you seal the skull with Mop-And-Glo you can't tell it was repaired!
    For those that do not know, 40 Volume Salon Care is only 12% Hydrogen Peroxide. Baquacil Oxidizer is 37% Hydrogen Peroxide.

Batch of Euros.jpg hog euros.jpg Garcia bear2 website.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  4. Baquacil oxidizer is actually 27%, not 37%.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Correct. 10 days was probably not long enough to fully get the grease out. Try soaking in heated water that you have added a good shot of ammonia to the detergent. 4 cups in a 5 gallon bucket. It is also possible that that stain is iron from the blood in that area. Make up a solution of Iron Out (the powdered type) and try soaking that area for several hours in it.

6. Dapperistdan

Dapperistdan New Member

Mass
    Thanks for the replies, I'll try the ammonia/water and iron out if that doesnt work. Would you try to re-whiten in the Baquacil again after those treatments?

Also, does the dark spot from the photo indicate blood leaching into the bone? or grease? I have only done about 10 skulls, but ive never seen a stain like that.

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Use the Advances Search on here and read up about Iron Out and using it. There is at least one with good pictures to show you how it works.