1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Airbrush Spattering Issue

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by JD Lake, Dec 11, 2020.

1. JD Lake

JD Lake Member

I've purchased a new Badger Renegade Krome airbrush with a Silentaire 20A compressor.

I'm new to airbrushing, and am having some issues. Using Polytranspar scale detail black I was getting some small spattering dots when using it. I cleaned it after this first use and put in Life Tone off white. After starting, I would lose pressure and very little paint would be distributed and even heavier spattering, until after about 30 seconds, no paint would come out. I would completely clean it again, same issue.

I'm painting at 40psi and have tried higher and lower pressure. Same result.

Any advise? I've watched numerous YouTube videos about proper cleaning, etc. but can't find a solution. Very frustrating.

Thank you.

spot2169 likes this.
  2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I don't know where you are located in terms of weather/humidity. Out here in SoCal I spray lacquer mostly and it is a very dry heat so I have to add a little retarder to my paint. It seems my lacquer can dry at the tip as it leaves the airbrush sometimes. I would add a drop or two of retarder in the cup and try that. It is definitely not the equipment. Joe

airbrushes.jpg

3. JD Lake

JD Lake Member

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I'm in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Lately it's been in the mid 30's with humidity around 70%. I keep my shop at 70 degrees.

4. drob

drob Well-Known Member

Your shop is still to damn neat and clean!!

socalmountainman likes this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Make sure all parts are tight if your getting air bubbles.
    Next black and white are the hardest or I’ll say the most heaviest pigmented of all colors.
    They need to be thinned more by using the proper chemicals for your paint. I spray at 33 psi for all my work
    http://www.hidetanning.net/AirBrushFish.html