1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Container For Skulls

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Branden, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Branden

Branden Member

What is everyone using for a container to soak there skulls in when using peroxide

2. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

Just anything plastic will work fine. Really depends on how big of skulls you are working with. Deer skulls we use a plastic dishpan and fill it up just below the antlers.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I posted this before , the perfect plastic tube for skulls is a old ham tuba ware container image.jpg image.jpg

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Handy for some things but tough to cram one of these in there. Many things will work. Glass or plastic. Do not use metal. Find whatever fits and is safe to use without spilling the contents. Buckets, plastic storage containers, plastic totes, plastic trash cans ... anything is ok to use. Choose by what fits the skull or skulls you are working with.
    That is a 24 inch tray.
    [​IMG]

5. dint

dint New Member

I am curious about the photo where you have cut off the one antler. Do you do this with all your deer, moose, elk? How are you reattaching the antler and where do you make the cut. Can definitely see the advantages, but would appreciate some pointers before I try it. Thanks!

6. 13 point

I just happened to be on here when you ask that lol , no that deer came in with the rack pulled out , it had an infection and when the hunter grabbed it to pull deer out of the woods the racked pulled out . I was trying to show the size of the ham tub and that head was just laying there and is what I grabbed. I don’t cut antlers off to whiten .

7. dint

dint New Member

shoot....I thought I found something good! thanks for responding.

8. 13 point

You can do whatever you want , be inventive. Cutting antlers off isn’t for me , it’s to much work putting them back on in my opinion . I’d rather just recolor them

Branden likes this.
  9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Recoloring is easy. There are tutorials and posts on here telling how to do so in detail.

10. The one time they need to be cut off is when they are still covered in velvet as there is no way to clean the skull and maintain the velvet if you leave them attached.