1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why Are My Pheasants Feathers Disintegrating?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Rita757, Dec 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Rita757

Rita757 New Member

20201212_123649.jpg 20201212_123629.jpg I was dusting my pheasant and his tail feathers started coming off in chunks! I noticed with weird dirt under his feathers. Are these mites or is this natural deterioration with age? (He's about 80 years old)

I don't see anything crawling on him, just these weird clumps. Any advice is much appreciated.
    20201212_123649.jpg 20201212_123629.jpg

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Not sure wat they clumps are but my fear is some sort of eggs. I would put the bird in a box you can seal or bag and set off a bug bomb. Seal it up and wait a day and see what came out of the bird. Probably need to do this several times to be sure everything is dead.
    Certainly others will have suggestions.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

x2

4. Rita757

Rita757 New Member

Thank you for your thoughts! I was also considering eggs but they look super old. I hope he's not currently infested... I don't like using chemicals in my home when I can avoid it so I'm not sure how I can get peace of mind.

5. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Your using chemicals in a box, contained. Or a bag sealed. You can place either in an outbuilding and fumigate if you are concerned.

bucksnort10 likes this.
  6. Get some coopex dust [permethrin], and powder down the whole bird,i would do all your birds btw, with this bird i would remove it out to the garage or somewhere else. good luck
    to me it's silverfish,what you have in the photo is it's poop.
    BTW silverfish live for 20yrs if you don't do anything they go other dead birds you have.

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Get that pheasant out of your house ASAP. If you have freezer space, freeze it for 10 days to kill any adults and most eggs, the proceed with an insecticide as recommended.

8. swear it looks like mites. The little black dots on feathers Better freeze it for 2 weeks.. If you want to save it