1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do Pronghorn Fade ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dmac1175, Dec 14, 2020.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I understand that any mount will fade if in direct sunlight but what about just in a room with windows? I have 6 personal pronghorn shoulder mounts on my wall the oldest is about 6 years old. I dont see that they have faded at all.
    Why I ask thjs question is because i asked a man that buys and sales taxidermy mounts. I asked him to look for me a lifesize pronghorn mount so i could use it for a decoy while hunting.
    It was a little faded and he told me all pronghorn mounts will fade even if not in direct sunlightbecause of the hollow hairs.
    Is this true?

2. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I did a repair on a Antelope last winter, not such about fading? but I did notice that the hair ends seemed to break off. This was a 15 -20 year old mount. If you brushed your hand on the hair 1/8 to 3/16 long hair tips seem to break off. I know from Fly tying trout bugs, Antelope was the most fragile to work with.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Light and heat take the pigment out of hair. The less light and heat, the longer hair will retain it's color, regardless of species.