1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tips For Small Parrots?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by JoshuaTreeBirds, Dec 15, 2020.

1. JoshuaTreeBirds

JoshuaTreeBirds Member

I'm getting 6 conures to do: jenday, sun, dusky head, green cheek, etc. I plan to use Tony Finazzo heads. Does anyone have tips on working with these birds? Working with the facial skin around the eyes? They seem like they'd be delicate, is it best not to wash them? Are there good video/other resources out there on parrots? Any advice is appreciated, I want to do my best on these little guys. Thanks!

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Type parrots into the search feature and you will get quite a bit of info on parrots ingeneral and conures are mentioned several times specifically. One thread is in eye work on sun conures.

JoshuaTreeBirds likes this.

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

wash but dont panic when green plumage turns brown.... and best to use real beak/skull just make a small releif cut in bare spot on either side of throat

magicmick and JoshuaTreeBirds like this.
  4. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I cast my own head on a conure using an alginate mold and bondo/resin for casting. I also washed the conure as I mount my small birds damp for stretch and skin taxiing. You must remove the membrane on the eye skin using a sharp blade or fine scissors. It's like splitting the eyelids on mammals but you are removing it, rather than leaving it to tuck back in. This will keep the eye skin from shrinking away from the glass eye. It mounted up nice and had no difficulty other than lots of pin feathers I had to deal with. C5.jpg C9.jpg C12.jpg C14.jpg

5. JoshuaTreeBirds

JoshuaTreeBirds Member

Thank you for sharing!

socalmountainman likes this.
  6. It is not specific to taxidermy, and I do not know if it is correct to put this type of message, but I think it can be interesting because it is very practical in terms of anatomy. I made a manual for cleaning and assembly of parrot skeletons, and osteological reference.