1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Burr Removal

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Merley, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Merley

Merley New Member

So this is my first deer hide I've ever tried to tan before and when I washed his coat after brining it I noticed he is full of burrs. He isn't slipping at all and is in very good condition, he is still untanned though. I was planning to brush them out with a wire dog brush after I tanned him, but I wasn't sure if there was a better way to go about it. I am planning to tan him hair on.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Use a cream rinse after the three day pickle, rinse it and back in the pickle for a day.

3. Merley

Merley New Member

I’ve decided not to pickle him, the pelt is already begun to tan, but I’m not sure what a cream rinse is?

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You shouldn’t tan without a pickle as that pulls out non tan able fluids plus swells up the cape for shaving.
    So after you tan it get a good cream hair rinse that we use for our hair. It’ll help get those burrs out

5. Merley

Merley New Member

Thanks!!!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  6. I bought a comb and a good brush from a horse supply store and that seems to work for me on getting burrs out, especally on bear hides.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Any cheap hair conditioner on your hide will work. Then you can hose them right off.