1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird Anatomy

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Branden, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Branden

Branden Member

Looking for a book or something that help with anatomy.. or more so head neck junction an wiring wings

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Prairie Wings

Also study your carcasses. If you really want to get it, pluck a bird. You can freeze it and thaw it several times before it'll get stinky.

Neck bends can also be conquered by using the real neck. Wire wheel it, pickle for a couple days, run annealed wire down the spinal hole, wrap with cotton

Jim McNamara, magicmick and Westcoast like this.

3. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

BrookeSFD16 and Westcoast like this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You can learn a lot by just going onto Carl's facebook.

socalmountainman likes this.
  5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

or pluck a live bird

6. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

That’ll really piss off the bird. If you’re to pluck a live bird id go with a Canadian Honker

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    KLFL, bucksnort10, ARUsher and 2 others like this.
  7. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

LOL awesome response!

KLFL and Wally Gator like this.
  8. killitandfillit

killitandfillit Member

I find this response very interesting. Mainly the second part of wire wheel on the neck and pickle it. It brings a few questions for me
    In this process I assume you remove all of the meat and bring it to nothing but bone?

would you use pickle like in a hide tanning process.
    I’ve thought about this process and would be Intrigued in trying on a few Sandhill cranes if you would care to elaborate on it a bit. I’m sure it’s not that complex but would definitely like to fully understand the process and how you wold go about doing this. Thanks.

9. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Just hit it on the wire wheel, pickle for a couple days and wrap with cotton. Run an annealed wire down the spine hole. It will ensure you don't make incorrect bends.

10. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Ok...So I sent the money thru Paypal on December 29 to Carl and as to date have not received anything...??? I know it's from across the pond but this is a little strange...

11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

no such bird.... ha

12. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Rich, I sent you a PM explaining it. Check your ALERTS at the top right corner. Joe

13. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Oh, then pluck a Branta canadensis

14. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Most all above are good.

I would suggest having a rotisserie chicken for lunch. It will absolutely put you in the know on how a wing is attached, in addition to being DELICIOUS

15. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Got the flash drive from Carl today..... wow takes a long time from across the pond. Almost 1 month but anyway its here.