1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone Else Behind Schedule In 2020?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by IAtaxi, Dec 18, 2020.

1. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

I just got ready to send out my capes last spring and my tannery closed down(Wildlife Gallery). So I waited for nearly 2 months and decided to go elsewhere with them. This was actually a good decision as I found a good tannery within driving distance. However it seems that whole debuncle has pretty much put me behind schedule by 2 months across the board. Just kills me to be this behind and playing catch up in a time of year where I'm generally skinning or hunting. Now its mounting, skinning, and very little hunting. Quite stressful to be honest, most custemors get it, some dont. To make matters worse I got a Corona positive a few weeks ago. F 2020!

That said I was on the ball this year to get my first half of capes off to the tannery(mainly because I ran out of freezer space). Hopefully this will help my business spread out the work vs sending them all in March.

I just remember saying this Coronavirus isn't going to affect my business in any way. Boy was I wrong.

Record numbers of projects coming in this year, which is great! Just need to get caught up and press the reset button.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  2. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, some of us lost a seasons worth of African and Asian, and spring bears because of the shut downs.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

This is the very reason that I use dry preservative. I've been crapped on by other taxidermist and tanneries too many times. I'm in this game to make money, and I cannot have a business by constantly hearing from customers complaining about turn around time. I usually do around 125 deer and a terrible amount of other specimens annually. Most deer are completed and gone by July 4. Customers don't give a care about how an animal is preserved. Tans vs DP have been debated here a million times. You cannot have a business without cash flow, and need to use alternative methods make it happen.

Westcoast and drob like this.
  4. drob

drob Active Member

You and I are about the same age,I always considered myself a very hard worker but just thinking about a work load like yours gives me a headache.My hats off to you!!!

5. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I was worried it would be a slow year and I hesitated about raising my prices as much as I did. Boy was I wrong! Its been a record season. So far I've managed to keep up.

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

just last weekend two clients picked up ducks completed last jan.... supposedly aftaid of covid but theve been to bars,out hunting & fishing,eating out ,shopping ,work etc.....

Keith likes this.
  7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Covid has been used as an excuse for everything that is not "on-time" in 2020.

ARUsher and Keith like this.