1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is My Cape Actually Tanned?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by tmdennis, Dec 18, 2020.

1. tmdennis

tmdennis New Member

Is there a way to tell if a cape took the tan? Using Lutan, but doing it in a cold basement, probably 50-55 degrees. I maintained 3.5-4 ph but remember reading on here that Lutan cant be used in cold temps. Just went through 20 pages of old posts and saw a few that said it should be 70 degrees. I ask because I just pulled a deer cape out of tan but it seems plump like when it comes out of pickle. Should or can it be re-tanned at a warmer temp. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It may take longer for it to tan but the question really is if the directions and you’ve read don’t tan in cold areas why have you done it.
    Tans don’t plumb skin like a pickle does do your skin may still be acidic and the pH should have been raised to 4.5-5 to set the tan.
    I don’t use this tan as it’s not a favorite of mine but I never tan with cold temps. personally I might just freeze it till you have the right temp to do it but somebody might have more insight.