1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finally Got One!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by byrdman, Dec 20, 2020.

1. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

ten years and many weak sick young, we finally got a mandarin X woodduck to survive to semi-adulthood

Attached Files:

jessewild likes this.
  2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

I was hoping to see a drake! Interesting cross. Have they crossed in the wild?

3. byrdman

it may be a drake...needs to color out more... only 4 mos old.....but typical of most hybrids they arent as spectacular as either parent

4. Year number 2 will colour up better for you after they molt

5. byrdman

not sure of sex but has mand bill trace of flank feathers couple shoulder coverts that look male has hen mand eye patch and dr mand nape...trying to get better pics but dont want to stress out is in winter woody pen

6. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

I tried to blow the picture up some and I can see some male traits but just a little and certainly a hen face. Might turn out to be a blah bird or a stunner. Have their been cases of hybrids of the two in the wild? I have not raised waterfowl for 20 years now but have never heard of the woodies and mandarins crossing. Ours never showed any signs of trying and we always kept both species together. Woodies were certainly more aggressive though.

7. byrdman

we keep only hen mand due to good laying and gentle and only horny drake woodys mostly wild ones that drop in then leave