1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Do You Know When A Skull Is Degreased?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by fadetoblack72, Dec 21, 2020.

1. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

Searched the forums and couldn’t find anything on this topic. How do I know when a skull is finished degreasing? About how long does a white tailed down take? Is it bad to put a greasy skull in the tank with one that is almost complete?
    Thanks!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

My favorite quote on here was the person who first said "It's done when it's done". There are many factors involved with individual animals. One, How well it lived and it's diet for two. I have had deer take as long as several months because it was just a fatty animal to start with. I have had some bears be degreased in a couple of weeks but most take several months. Each animal will be different that you work on.

As for mixing, as long as you monitor your solution, you will not be adding grease to your cleaner skulls already in there.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    fadetoblack72 likes this.

3. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

WHEN THE GREASE IS ALL GONE

4. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

Thank you. I guess my question is, how will I know when the grease is gone? Clear solution?

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Nope. You will be able to tell by looking at the bone itself. Take the skull out and rinse it in hot water. Let it sit off to the side for several hours to drip-dry. Look at the skull under a good light. Any areas that you see that are yellowish or translucent are signs of Grease.

6. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

This is how I'm doing it...right or wrong, it works for me and my customers. Usually have to change the water out every couple days, then 3-4, then 5-7, then it usually stays clear. If I have a greasy one it might take 2-3 weeks. But if my solution is clear after 3-4 days I consider it ready. This works well for me. We only do whitetails.

7. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

I generally rinse them and let them sit until they are completely dry. Its pretty easy to see then.

8. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

Awesome!! Thanks for the help!!