1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Possum Paw Dilema

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by ZacharySilas, Dec 21, 2020.

1. ZacharySilas

ZacharySilas New Member

Am working on my first possum. It's a small bugger, younger one. But it is my son's first hunting experience kill. (he's 4, he had assistance) ;D So he's pretty excited about Mom getting his possum done for him.
    It was in the freezer for about 3 weeks, whole, before I got a chance to skin it out. I had an issue with a front paw. No evidence of frost bite, but as it was being skinned, it would just tear in every which direction, and not from knicks by the scalpel. This was the only one that did this, There was no evidence of injury, damage, scar tissue, etc prior to skinning. Not sure what to do with it, It's still there in 1 piece.

~stumped~

Any suggestions, I don't think I can stitch to repair. I was very surprised as to how "fine skinned" it was. Not yet ordered a form for it.
    It is currently on the salt table.
    Thank you!

2. damon engel

damon engel New Member

Skin as far as you can, and then can you rebuild/sculpt the paw itself with epoxie sculpt? Or possibly hide it under leaves and forest debris might be your best bet.

John C likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Glue and pin.

4. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

im working on my first possum right now and just had a rear paw rip off - i plan to glue and pin and pray it doesnt pull back - Im searching "possum" right now to figure out what to do with the tail

5. mold the tail. Allow it to sit in the mold a few days, the hair will slip and stay in the mold. then cast with a 2 part resin, the hairs will stick in the 2 part resin.

6. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

this is flipping genious

7. can always just cover up the paw with grass or rocks if you put it in a scene.

or find someone who can sell you a possum paw of similar size. i have 4 possum paws in my freezer, all from a small male possum. its a bit of a hassle to ship just a paw though. we would have to work something out.