1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dry Or Wet Shampoo After Tanning?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Kate Lacour, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Kate Lacour

Kate Lacour Member

Yet another newbie question- this site has been a lifesaver!

I've just tanned a beautiful fox using a brush-on. Having unrolled and let it air out a bit, I'm thinking it could use a little wash. It smells a bit like the tan liquid plus male fox funk, and the still-damp fur feels a bit oily. It was not at all greasy at the pickling stage, I'm assuming it's tanning fluid- I folded flesh-to-flesh during tanning, but it could have spread a bit. I did use a bit of dish soap (per the directions) during neutralizing, if that matters.

The directions say to gently wash off the hair side only if tan gets onto it. Should I give him a quick shampoo or just sprinkle with something like baking soda to deodorize and absorb a bit of greasiness? I used baking soda plus corn starch as dry shampoo on my own hair back when it was very long. I've read some posts that warn about leeching out the tan, but I *would* like to get this guy fluffy and fresh.

Thanks so much for any input.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I shampoo and condition all my hides , capes . If tanned correctly you should have no issues.

Kate Lacour likes this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

you can also use some sawdust in a garbage bag and a cup of odorless mineral spirits and shake it around in that to get rid of the excess oils and it will clean the fur.

Kate Lacour likes this.