1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Don Stevens

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Ken Edwards, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

don_stevens.jpg

Don Stevens of Crossville, Alabama, passed away December 21, 2020. Don a gold Akeley medallion won the First Place Gold Medal in the Master of Masters Division at the 2005 World Taxidermy Championships held in Springfield, Illinois with the whitetail pictured above. He also won another Gold Medal with the Carl E. Akeley Award at the 1992 World Taxidermy Championships held in Gainesville, Georgia. Don and his wife Jessica were longtime judges at the World Show as well.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    socalmountainman and msestak like this.
  2. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of Don's passing. He was a great Whitetail deer taxidermist and a great person. My condolences to his family.

msestak and Carolin Brak-Dolny like this.

3. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Big Bad Don! I'm still in shock but I have to face the fact that he's gone. We were friends for a long time. I met Don in Gainesville, GA in 1992. We then later met again at a show around 1996 and just hit it off like two peas in a pod. Later Don had some heart problems and I called him and talked trash several times a week until he was back on his feet. We hardly ever talked about his health issues, we just talked about football and hunting and fun stuff. We gossiped about everybody and made fun of everything. We traded insults and were as rude as we could possibly be to each other and loved every minute of it. Don & I had become as close as brothers and no topic was left uncovered or off limits. WE pulled countless pranks on one another and were always up to shenanigans. Even so, beneath the sass and tough man exterior was a heart of pure gold. We saw each other multiple times at shows and worked on several projects together over the years. We were always welcome in each other's homes. We also talked about family and friends a lot. He was so proud of his wife and sons that he could barely contain himself. His loyalty and love were never questioned. Don was one of the tiny handful of people in my life that was always on my side. He was dependable and there for me in any situation imaginable. He occupied a large part in my life and I will always be thankful for his love and friendship. Godspeed my friend.

4. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

So sorry for your loss, Rick. I did not know you were such good friends. My heart breaks for Jessica. RIP Don.

msestak likes this.
  5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Always sad to see an icon of the industry pass. Never meet Don in person but I would have like to. Wasn't he also a past president of the International Guild of Taxidermist? R.I.P.

msestak likes this.
  6. That mount inspired me more than any other piece of taxidermy has.. He will surely be missed by many. Sending love to Jessica and family.

magicmick and sarahdj like this.
  7. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

RIP Don , condolences to the family

8. Gray Johnson

Gray Johnson New Member

RIP Don forever in our hearts

9. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

I was never lucky enough to meet Don Stevens. It sure sounds like he was a great fella.. His whitetail pictured above is my all-time favorite piece of whitetail taxidermy that I have ever seen.. It set the bar for me.. Incredible work.

Jerry Huffaker likes this.
  10. Tom McNeal

Tom McNeal Member

RIP Don! Our condolences and prayers for Jessica and family!

Tom & Gail McNeal

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

So sad to hear this. Condolences to his family. RIP Don.

12. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

This is truly heartbreaking. He and Jessica judged our Illinois show a couple years ago- he was truly an icon to our industry. I love this piece!! Praying for my sweet friend Jessica.

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

For those who never met him, you'd never meet a more gentle man. With my first meeting it was as if we'd always known each other. He will be missed by all who knew him and his expertise will be missed within the industry.

rogerswildlife and magicmick like this.