1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shipping Live Beetles

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by fadetoblack72, Dec 22, 2020.

1. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

How are folks shipping live beetles this time of year? I assume if they reach a certain temp they die.?.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Recommended that you ship overnight or next day. You can take the containers that have the beetles in it and put it in an insulated box with padding and a small heat pack.

fadetoblack72 likes this.

3. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

Like a hand warmer? That won’t fry them?

4. Sea Wolf

I've seen other types of heat packs too. If the box is large enough and the container with the bugs is wrapped itself in a couple of layers of bubble wrap to keep it from too close contact with the heat they will be fine. Otherwise overnight or next day and choose your ship time to coincide with a warmer period in the temps. They can be chilled a bit and be fine. Just not frozen.

fadetoblack72 likes this.
  5. fadetoblack72

fadetoblack72 Member

What type of container should I use? I used a sealed airtight container and no heat pack and they all died. I’m wondering if it was more the airtight container that killed them. Was thinking of using a plastic container wit screen duct taped over the top with a 72 hour heat pack under it.

6. Sea Wolf

If your box is too small, the heat pack will kill them. Put them in a plastic deli container. Poke small holes in the top. Overnight or next day shipping. If you have a heat pack inside, make sure the box is large enough to prevent the heat from concentrating in a small area. Also wrap the container of beetles in some type of insulation to prevent any direct contact with the heat pack.