1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Teaching The New Taxidermy Student.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by socalmountainman, Dec 23, 2020.

1. RobertStokes

RobertStokes New Member

Your mention of the teacher and the step-by-step passage of the educational material reminded me of how I wrote about the conflicts of modern education and traditional education.
    The traditional method is mainly based on textbooks, while the modern method is based on practical materials. In the traditional method, presentation of materials starts with parts, then goes to the whole, while in the modern approach, presentation of materials starts with the whole and then goes to parts. The traditional method focuses on basic skills, while the modern method focuses on big ideas. Under the traditional teaching method, assessment is seen as a separate activity and carried out through testing, while under the modern teaching method, assessment is viewed as an activity integrated with teaching and learning, and is carried out through portfolio and observation. This is not really my point of view, this is a quote. For teaching to be effective, the teacher must learn a good method. The teacher has many options when choosing a teaching style. A teacher can write lesson plans from other teachers, or search for lesson plans on the Internet or books. When deciding which teaching method to use, the teacher must take into account the learners' experience, knowledge, environment, and learning objectives. Teachers know that students learn in different ways, but almost all children will respond well to praise. Students learn in different ways by assimilating information and demonstrating their knowledge. Teachers often use methods that are appropriate for different learning styles to help students retain information and strengthen understanding. A variety of strategies and methods are used to ensure that all students have an equal learning opportunity. Therefore, we should all step on a rake of unfinished fundamentals. They are not an indicator of science, but an important tool in understanding it.

2. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

kids these days, i tell ya, back in my day......

3. Kostyniuk-outdoors

Kostyniuk-outdoors Alberta free and proud

When I first started being interested in taxidermy as a teenager we only had enough money to get by. so no dvds or breakthrough manuals for me. My first projects were done after borrowing any library books on the subject i could find. most had been written in 60s or 70s. gave me a solid foundation to work with. when i was 16 i got a summer job doing floor installation and used that money to buy the breakthrough manuals and a few dvds.

Lance.G, pir^2h and socalmountainman like this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I feel using modern precesses that work for me in everyday work, but also having a good understanding of the older methods, which if nothing else gives me an appreciation for the modern methods works best. Also sometimes, the old procedures can come in handy when you run out of something midship and need to do something to get you through it.

pir^2h likes this.
  5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    My teaching was from NWST
    upload_2021-2-3_20-31-13.jpeg
    lea4ned most by the school of hard knocks but these lessons put me well on my way
    I now have a 15 year old that’s been in the shop for two years and is picking it up slowly
    He does not have that drive I had

pir^2h likes this.
  6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

If you want to learn anything bad enough you can do it. Lack of drive is a recipe for failure (my opinion).

Rausch likes this.
  7. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I recently tore apart a moose done from the 60s. Very little of it was still stuck to the old paper form. Very few nails/ brads used either. One of the “old school techniques” was used. There were folded up 1967 newspapers used to build up areas on the form. They were interesting to read. Wonder where he learned to do that?

8. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Very true.

9. Anthony Makinson

Anthony Makinson New Member

very helpful, thanks for this thread, I know how difficult it is now for students and schoolchildren to study, and I recommend a very useful service that has been tested on my own experience https://edusson.com/write-my-lab-report, thanks to which I began to receive high scores and improved my position before the session, I recommend that you familiarize yourself with this service, place an order, and the team of professional writers take care of your lab reports, you can trust these experts, because they do everything quickly and efficiently, try and see for yourself.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  10. Trappertod

Trappertod New Member

Glad I found this thread. I am 46 and my son is 16 and he wants to be a taxidermist. We have started taking some classes at the local community college. It's good to see that some of you started as youngsters. If I could piggy back on this thread, when did you start your business? We are practicing on small mammals right now and getting ready to move to learning birds. Is there a point we will know we are ready to "hang the shingle" by the road?

11. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Everyone's definition of when it's time to hang the shingle is different. Some do it after a couple birds others after dozens. This is all my opinion for whatever it is worth. Go to a couple shows and enter a few mounts and get some critiques and talk with the judges so they can give you pointers on how to improve your work. There is always room for improvement. Even world champions are looking for ways to improve.

I hope your classes at the community college include business classes (you didn't say). Don't make the mistake many do when they do start and low ball your prices to get work in the door. You will be sorry! Not only will you get the lowest clientele but you are setting yourself up for failure. When you go to raise your prices later they will leave you for another taxidermist (who is also low balling to get business!) because they will be upset that you are now charging more than you used to.

Best of luck to you!

Mudbat likes this.
  12. Trappertod

Trappertod New Member

Thanks! That's some good information there. I have a business degree and I am going to insist he at least get a business degree from the community college. The taxidermy classes at our local school teach the basic fundamentals and nothing on the running the business part. I want to help him get started, but I want him to operate it. Maybe when I retire he will let me skin and answer the phone.

pir^2h likes this.
  13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Hallelujah!! Some one who gets it. Trappertod, you are one of the few who come on here wanting to start a taxidermy business and actually understand the word business. Very refreshing.
    I always preach to forget taxidermy classes if you want to start a taxidermy business. Concentrate on business classes and the taxidermy part comes later. Taxidermy classes for the enjoyment of doing taxidermy and business classes for the monetary compensation for enjoying taxidermy.

If you have your business savvy at a high level and your taxidermy savvy at a mediocre level you will do well. If it is the other way around, you will do poorly.

I see you doing well!

14. Trappertod

Trappertod New Member

Thanks, in the real world I work in maintenance management for a pharmaceutical company. All business are in it to make money. No Money=No Business. we will not under charge, even in the beginning. I have done my homework on the other guys around the area and they all pretty much are close in price, I will be also. My son is doing well in the taxidermy part, he has young hands and eyes, mine area a bit aged.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Hmm, I use a chronograph and the ballistic tables supplied by the manufacturer which I find on my Smartphone. You guys talk quadratic equations but it doesn't help me find Dairy Queen. All that education and you still don't know Bondo isn't an adhesive.

Clew likes this.
  16. Trappertod

Trappertod New Member

I've heard Borax isn't a preservative either, but I've never tried it.