1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finished Stone Crab Table Mount

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by crablover, Dec 25, 2020.

1. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Finished Stone Crab display. The Stone Crabs I am mounting are coming from the new aquaculture program started in Marsh Harbour the Bahama's. The crabs are being breed and grown for commercial claw harvesting. I purchased the rock and coral from a aquarium store that specializes in live rock and live reef invertebrates. The seaweed and starfish came from Brian Brew of Dux R Us. Merry X Mas to everyone! Crab diorama 1.JPG Crab diorama 1.JPG

drob, JL, Wally Gator and 10 others like this.
  2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Beautiful!

3. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

I love to eat our local stone crabs. They have a similar build to these but are bright orange and black.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I could eat that. Well done.

JL likes this.
  5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Really nice

6. crablover

Thanks everyone! The claws on Stone Crabs are a real pain in the butt. They are very thick, and when they dry out they will explode into pieces and crack. I dried each claw in a plastic cup so when it happened all the pieces where there and could not be mixed up. Once I was sure the claws were dry, they were re assembled with 30 second epoxy and any cracks were coated with the same. Then a quick buffing with 220 sandpaper and a coat of flat lacquer over they claw. When that dried, a couple more coats to seal the claws. The sealing stopped the cracking and I waited a couple of days to make sure the problem was solved and could move on with the coloring. This happened on every claw as it dried out, so I now know and expect this to happen on large Stone Crab claws

13 point likes this.
  7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Wondering if you have ever experimented with giving the claws a soak in paraloid B-72 before drying them out. If it worked, a one step process to keep them from breaking would save you the puzzle assembly.

Clew likes this.
  8. crablover

Terry, never tried the B-72 but will when I get some more large crabs. The claws are very thick and hard on the monster stone claws. I had no problem other than time to piece them back together. I am glad it happened before they were painted and finished before going to the owners.