1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dead Heads And Rotten Skulls

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by AlanCoderre, Dec 28, 2020.

1. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

What does everyone do when these come in the door? Will you still beetle strip them? Do you charge more? I have been getting more and more of these in the past couple years and I think I need to change how I go about things. 99% of the skull that come in are fresh but there is always that 1% that seem to come in rotten or sat so long it is like shoe leather.

2. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

Yeah, I've gotten more in this year, 3rd year in business...I'm going to start charging $20 extra upfront. I macerate and what I've been doing on the really bad ones is just dropping the entire head in a heated bucket and leaving it for a couple weeks. Then once all meat is gone I put in ammonia and heated dawn for a few weeks. Most come out pretty good...but I always tell the customer upfront that I cannot guarantee how white I can get them. So far it's worked ok.

3. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

I always charge an extra $20 for it. I tell them I would much rather them not pay me the extra money so just bring it to me fresh lol.

4. I charge them based on the size of the animal (i.e. deer, caribou, moose) and the funk...then freeze (to try and kill any foreign larvae), rehydrate, and drop them in the bugs. I agree with Alan, I would much rather have them fresh!

5. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

Do you feed rotten skulls to the bugs? I always have a fear that it would kill them.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I charge extra for rot and maggots and have it in writing. Proper field care is the responsibility of the hunter/client.

Rot won't kill your beetles but the parasites the head will bring in probably will. Dermestids like things to be not liquefied and putrid. Even if that dries out they will eat it though. But there is no need for anyone to be handling rotten client trophies. They need to store it properly before bringing it to you.

7. Well said...