1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Water Before The Duck?

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by ZacharySilas, Dec 31, 2020.

1. ZacharySilas

ZacharySilas New Member

hi! so a customer stopped over and picked up his fawn and we talked about the fox mount I'm working on, well the base for it. Here's what's going on.
    https://trackeasy.fun/usps/ https://showbox.tools/
    [​IMG]

I'm going to use envirotex for the water, and no I've never done a water scene yet. We just figured it out last night and I did spend some time researching. My question is with the duck, do I have to have it before I make the base, or should I just make a depression for the duck to set in to, or? Not quite sure how to go about this...

thanks!

2. Westcoast

Westcoast Active Member

You can build habitat scenes in whatever order you want, sort of. In my opinion, to do it right you need ALL pieces of the puzzle. I personally would need the duck to make sure it fits, looks correct and flows.

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

the grouse is a more typical meal for a fox... I would do the scene with the grouse some moss puddles princess pines etc

rigbobby likes this.
  4. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

yes. Duck first, water second. A piece of plexiglass, or sneezeguard in these times, cut out an egg shaped hole that your duck fits in (cardboard template to get size right.) Then a masking tape dam. Pour in the envirotex, that you bought at michaels with the 50% coupon. Set bird in hole. The whole shooting match goes in a wood edge base to contain the water.

5. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

careful with the bird, those feathers will soak up any envirotex that gets on them and it will look ugly and un-natural.
    maybe try a dam from clear silicone and pour slowly or better yet, make the hole to fit the duck, set everything in place to make sure it all looks good. remove the duck, make the dam and pour the water...then replace the duck.

nice looking fox :)

George likes this.