1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Time Tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Juniper98, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Juniper98

Juniper98 New Member

okay so first off I'm referencing this tutorial: https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/56668/

I'm most interested in tanning fox. in the tutorial under step 4. shaving it says that fox don't need to be shaved, is this generally true or does it go by case to case? and do they need to be degreased?
    without those would the steps then go:

1. salting
    2. relaxing
    3. pickle
    4. neutralize
    5. tanning
    6. oil

and if so, how long in the pickle should they stay before neutralizing?

sorry if this is obvious knowledge, I am just starting to learn about tanning and would like to know exactly what to do before just diving in! any advice is appreciated

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

pickle for 3 days then
    step 4 is drain and shave
    5 back in pickle overnight
    6 drain, neutralize 15-20 minutes
    7 tan after an hour check pH and adjust to 4.5-5 pH
    About an hour before you’re ready to take out of the tan check your pH and adjust if needed with sodium bicarbonate. Let it set in tanning solution for an hour when pH is at 4.5-5 . Drain , rinse in cool water, drain good, then oil overnight, hang for a day then you’re ready to rinse and mount or in freezer till ready or dry till it’s ready to be broke.

pir^2h and Juniper98 like this.

3. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Juniper98 and pir^2h like this.
  4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

You won't go wrong with the advice from the two members who responded to your question so far!

D.Price and Juniper98 like this.