1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's On Your Workbench 2021

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by BrookeSFD16, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I do a leg to leg on almost all my geese mounts as most of them are belly out. And i always pull my legs to pre inject and paint and that incision makes that real easy

AFTHUNT, pir^2h and Jim McNamara like this.
  2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Vic, give it a try. You will never go back to the breast incision.

AFTHUNT, pir^2h and Trevor Patterson like this.

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I plan to Jim! I heard the term leg to leg but never really understood what it was until a couple days ago. When you do the cut is it in front of the legs (and how far) or between the thighs? On a mallard, how wide is the incision?

Vic

4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I do breast... And I cut em from the top of the breast bone all the way to the vent.

Weird you can't see the pics Vic. Anyone else having issues seeing pics?

pir^2h likes this.
  5. pir^2h

They came in this morning. I don't know what is up with that. Some days they work, others not.

Vic

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have never done ducks, but when I started doing leg to leg on turkeys, turkey mounting got a lot easier and better.

bucksnort10 likes this.
  7. Wildthings

I cut all around the legs at the feather line then on the inside of the leg at the first cut I cut up the leg to the belly, straight across to the other leg down the inside of that leg to the first cut. Then I skin the legs out first cut the leg loose and put them to the side. Then finish skinning the bird

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  8. BrookeSFD16

9. BrookeSFD16

10. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Nice feather work on your Teal Brooke

BrookeSFD16 and Wildthings like this.
  11. BrookeSFD16

IMG_20210120_141044.jpg New mount for the Showroom

12. pir^2h

And what a mount that is Brooke! I would love to see your showroom. Make up a video and put it on youtube! (Pleaseeeeee!)

jessewild and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  13. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

You can also try a dorsal incision. A couple of other taxis I know do that on all of their standing mounts. I just did one on a speckle belly goose with a breast out pose - flying. That way I also dont' have to worry about any issues I may have had with barring alignment when doing a front ventral incision.

BrookeSFD16 and pir^2h like this.
  14. pir^2h

Hey Bucksnort - never did a dorsal on a bird either although I have actually thought about it. I wasn't sure how it would work since the feathers are usually a bit thinner on the back than breast. I will have to try that one day also just to see how it works out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Vic

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the underwing side incision? I haven't, but I have seen an illustration of it in a trade mag, book or Breakthrough bird manual. I don't remember which.

Wally Gator likes this.
  16. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

I have done dorsal,under wing,and back.My preferred method is to skin leg to leg.It keeps the feathers very clean while wheeling and makes them a breeze to flesh.I have a batch to skin coming up in a couple weeks,I’ll post some pics on a separate thread of my process when I get to them

17. BrookeSFD16

IMG_20210121_193640.jpg

18. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Very nice Brooke! Wall-Mount-Wood-Duck.jpg

19. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

I do underwing on geese and turkeys to prevent skinning the secondaries from the bone, making feather placement much easier. It takes much longer while mounting but saves lots of frustration when positioning and carding the wings.

20. Wildthings

Tanglewood is talking about skinning the bird out from an incision which would be located on the side of the body under the wing

Wally Gator likes this.