1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Eye Trouble

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dwb5, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

So I'm going to have to rehydrate some eyes because the front corner keeps pulling. I have troubles with this on my deer. Can you give me any advice on how to keep them from pulling?When I set them they are fine then I pin them but they still seem to pull. Thanks ahead of time!

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

For one make sure you form is sanded or ruffed up good , then make sure your eye skin is thinned correctly, then make sure you get hide paste all around the eye . After you set eye I push a pin in the corner and bury it . This is the most important part , adjust and babysit them for four days , reworking them as they dry , see my tutorial Bag them . It will explain it better . You don’t want your mount to dry to fast . I even spritz with water sometimes to slow it even more .

George and Dwb5 like this.

3. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Ok thank you. I bag them for 3 days and rough them. Thanks for the tutorial name. I was looked a little bit for one.

4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I have no experience with dp capes, only tanned. With that disclaimer, make sure the areas that are causing you trouble are not stretched tight into position. The skin should be loosely positioned in areas that might pull and drum. Even the best tanned skins are going to shrink a little if it's too tight.

Thin and babysit as 13 point suggest.

5. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Ok. They are wet tanned capes.

6. Shawn Crose

Shawn Crose Member

You can also take an razor blade and thin the eye skin until you see the blue

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I only used 4, 3" japan pins on every mount. All were imbedded. Two went in the front corner of the eyes. The other 2 went in a a sharp forward angle in each lacrymal gland. Good glue is imperative.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

And push the surrounding skin towards the eye. I have never used a pin in the eye area and only had one pull away once. I rehydrated it and re glued it and it dried properly.

Keith likes this.
  9. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

When you say embedded do you mean all the way to the skin or something else?

10. tem

tem Well-Known Member

till you cant see it. drive it deep.

Brianjax likes this.
  11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I push skin toward the eye and go over the tucking several times during drying, as stated.

12. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a shorter eye to nose . Also try sanding the manikin then apply hide paste in and around the eye socket,and let it dry then do your clay work and apply hide paste before tucking the skin. and bagging helps as well