1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting A Beaver Questions

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Whitelightnin, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin Well-Known Member

I am planning to mount a lifesize beaver in the swimming pose. A few questions I have are. How do I properly work with the webbing between the toes? Is it something that must be split like lips, ears, etc or can I simply tan the webbing as it is? Also the reference pictures I have seen of a beavers face seem to show some visible front incisors. I am planning to do a closed mouth mount. Do the forms come with that little bit of teeth formed in them or is that something that I must install from the beaver’s actual teeth? Also what are your opinions on the tail? Most seem to use an artificial tail but how hard/what is the process of using the real tail? Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

1. I tan without splitting the webbing and inject toes and webbing after mounting.
    2. Forms do not come with incisors. you can use the real incisors or buy artificial ones.
    3. The tail can be split, fleshed and tanned with the rest of the hide, but it is a royal pain. It almost is pure gristle, much like the shield on the shoulder of a wild boar. I choose to use artificial tails.

Whitelightnin likes this.

3. Whitelightnin

Thank you sir. How do you prep the feet during the drying process? Do you card the feet so to speak or ??? I would imagine the webbing would try to curl up during the drying if not secured properly.

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Once mounted, I pin the toes to the base I am mounting it on with web stretched. If you can’t pin it to the base, then yes I would card it in place in the position you want it to dry, just like you would a deer’s ears.

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

webs should be split , not too difficult,or you can treat like duck feet and inject ...real tails are tough but artificials dont look too real... but by heating in boiling water you can shape somewhat

6. Whitelightnin

Thanks guys. If I did use the real tail what is the best method to fill the void back with to give it its original thickness?