1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oxalic Acid Pickle

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by drob, Jan 8, 2021.

1. drob

drob Well-Known Member

Need help understanding why my pickle gets weaker after two deer capes.I always add extra acid as well as salt when I make a pickle bath but the ph always rises slightly just before second cape is pulled.I run each cape for four days ( not together ).Seems strange that the pickle weakens.

2. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I thought that was normal.

3. drob

drob Well-Known Member

OK,wasn't sure.Thanks for the reply,I'll just start watching it closer!

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Two reasons
    Absorption
    Evaporation

drob and Tanglewood Taxidermy like this.
  5. drob

drob Well-Known Member

Thankyou!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  6. Vulpes Vulpes

Vulpes Vulpes Active Member

MD
    The skin has its own moisture and pH that dilutes the pickle closer to neutral. The bigger the batch of pickle you make, the less spiking it requires.

drob likes this.
  7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I went from 2 gallons to 5 gallons, I experience less fluctuations. When I went to ten gallons, very little fluctuations.

drob likes this.
  8. DTS 1046

DTS 1046 Member

Citric Acid is what is used in canning, to keep fruit from turning dark. Switch to saftee acid,..it holds the ph better.

drob likes this.
  9. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

X2 for saftee acid, works way better for me. Makes getting to the end result of a tanned hide faster and easier.

drob likes this.
  10. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Every acid works well those who don’t understand this don’t understand the value of using citric ( which is in saftee acid) .
    It’s works great on greasy skins does make or aids in softer skins. Now different acids will swell the hides differently but unless you’ve been in this for yrs and used different acids you wouldn’t understand the minor difference. If citric was so good over saftee acids why do tanneries use citric , Formic alum? Reason they know how!
    All acids are acidic and will cause you damage if it gets on you. Formic will burn you as soon it touches your skin and the fumes take your breath away. To where citric, saftee acids will do the same as burn you ( but not harm your lungs) but it takes much longer hence it’s why they call saftee acid.
    Plus acids or pickles does not tan your hides any faster or easier.