1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail Labs

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by derhntr, Jan 12, 2021.

1. derhntr

derhntr Member

Does anyone use whitetail labs for teeth aging. I've been trying to contact them for months and nothing but crickets?????

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Good luck. I attempted to use them in 2018 and was left hanging.

3. derhntr

derhntr Member

Sorry to here that, I've used them for over ten years and never had an issue, until now.

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Whitelightnin and 3bears like this.
  5. derhntr

derhntr Member

Deerage is to pricey, my price to my customers is based on the taxidermist price whitetail labs offers. I can't go back to the customer and charge more, but thanks for the info, something to keep in mind for later.

6. 13 point

And is why I cut the front teeth/jaw off and give them and the link to do themselves.

rigbobby likes this.
  7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Charging what it costs you, doesn't make good business sense, to me anyway but I think the place you ask about was using college students to age the deer and with this messed up world, where everything is distance learning, I think it put the kabosh on it.

8. derhntr

derhntr Member

Whitetail Labs charges $16.99, I charge my customers $30. Normal price is around $60, this is a discount price they offer to taxidermist.
    Interesting theory with the college students.

3bears likes this.
  9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

A wildlife biologist taught one of my helpers how to age. He removes the jaw and ages them on the spot. No charge to the customer.

10. 13 point

Deer age is $31 dollars ,
    Joe we can get close by tooth wear but is not an exact science. You need to have the tooth sliced and aged for exact aging .

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Here in Oregon, the state fish and game will do it for for you and your customers for free.

12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Why is it that important for deer management?...every biologist will tell you that a good deer is 4.5 years old, maybe 5.5 years, or older. A light frame deer is usually ages at 2.5 years. I don't even try to age them anymore myself. Every time I thought I had a handle on aging, a different biologist would burst my bubble, LOL!

13. 13 point

It is kinda easy to tell a deers age up to 4 1/2 , but after that it’s a guessing game . You go by ware and if the deer is eating softer food then others then it won’t show the ware as a deer eating say corn . I will give a client a guess at the age and most the time I’m very close , but As I said I will cut the front bottom jaw off and give them and the link to deer age.

14. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

IT'S NICE IF YOU LIKE KILLING OLDER DEER. IT'S NICER TO KNOW HE WAS 8 OR 9 YEARS OLD.