1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Using The Cast Lip System

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by pir^2h, Jan 12, 2021.

1. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Looking for opinions from those who have used the cast lip system from McKenzie. Good, bad or ugly? They have a video but are there any others out there that anyone else knows of?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I used them and for the bear, didn't really care for the detail. Headquarters bear head with their jaw cup is much, much better. The coyote cast lips that I used seemed good.

pir^2h likes this.

3. pir^2h

Thanks for that report Tanglewood! I was looking at a Brian Hendricks bobcat with an open mouth that uses the cast lip. However, I know nothing about it really.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

You are welcome.

Cast lip or cast face? I have used his cast face bobcat and was pleased with the end product. It is beneficial to know how to mount a bobcat conventionally first, but having no experience with bobcats will still get you an ok mount. I had done several conventionally before I used his and it helped a lot in achieving a much better than ok mount.

pir^2h likes this.
  5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’ve used them and it’s like anything else , if done correctly they look good .

6. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I don't use super glue on them, but use epoxy. You still need to babysit to keep the seam as tiny as possible.

7. 13 point

I use super glue gel , don’t like epoxy cause of the heat it kicks out when it kicks off , main thing is to keep all your lip lines equal at all points

8. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I use really slow set epoxy, so heat isn't an issue, but I could see where it might be with fast set epoxy.

pir^2h and 13 point like this.
  9. pir^2h

What is a good slow set epoxy? Thanks.

10. pir^2h

In the McKenzie catalog it says "Easy set" Cast Lip (Page 377 of the 2020-2021 catalog). I don't know how to use it so I am also looking for a video. I tried to look Brian up on here but the search doesn't seem to let you look up members like we used to be able to do, or I am doing something wrong.

11. 13 point

When you buy it , they send you a paper with it on how to use . Very simple

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Yes, I remember using one before. A long time ago. Pretty simple process.

You can also access the instructions on their website under product instructions. It's down by the big red HOW TO button. If I remember correctly, I bought the video of Mike Gillis installing the system from McKenzie. It's pretty straight forward. I used it on a howling coyote.

13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Vm11DP is the video that they sell on how to use them.

14. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

We use Magic-Smooth. There is nothing exceptional about it for this particular task, it's just what we purchase and use for a variety of things.

15. pir^2h

Thanks guys, I will look into it.

Vic

16. pir^2h

I went to the source and called McKenzie. Mike called me back and answered my questions. He made the video so what better person to call?!

17. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i actually use the original lips and nose and super glue them around the cast lips. I like the detail in the teeth and tongue but just do not like trimming off the lips and nose. I sand down the cast lips and clay over the nose. It takes very little time to do and is very easy to finish up after. I like the form with the mouth installed and this is just the way i do it. Not saying everyone should also. shane lion 6.PNG

pir^2h likes this.
  18. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I do something similar. I also use the real nose skin on top of the cast nose. This way you don't have to deal with the seam around the nose.

pir^2h likes this.
  19. pir^2h

Mighty fine looking mount there Museum Man. Well, I am just a hobbyist and even though I have been trying to do taxidermy for over a half century I'm nowhere near being a master at the art. I do like trying different things, after all, how else do you learn if all you do is the same old thing. Your method sounds great but beyond what I feel comfortable with right now. If I do continue to use the cast lip I will expand. Right now, just experimentation.

Vic

20. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i just always wonder how gluing around the lips will hold up over the years .