1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Using The Cast Lip System

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by pir^2h, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have used cast lip mouth cups for bears, a cougar, and that coyote. One bear and the coyote from McKenzie and several bears and the cougar from Research and Headquarters many years ago and they are still good. I used a two part hide paste up to the lipline and just a fine line of superglue gel right at the juncture to hold it down until the hide paste, as pins won't penetrate the hard plastic. I have used a little Apoxie Sculpt when finishing if needed.

pir^2h and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I bought the video and watched it last night so at least now I have an idea of what I am doing. Thanks for all the comments and information from your experience using this system.

Vic

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

One of the challenging things for me when I was do taxidermy was to stick to MY procedures and not constantly trying every new idea or gadget all at once on any given mount. It was hard to limit something new to my own mounts if it was radical.

I love trying new things and was constantly updating, changing, upgrading, going back to, eliminating unnecessary procedures. It made me better, however, it probably made me slower, because of a constant learning curve.

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Tanglewood, can you ever not learn enough? The more you learn the better you will be in the long run. If I didn't try new stuff I would still be stuck in the 60's with the Northwestern School of Taxidermy style, making bodies out of excelsior, anatomically incorrect and who knows what all we would miss out on. Then what would we do?

socalmountainman likes this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

My struggle wasn't with researching new methods, new ideas, new products and on and on, but it was more like I want to try this new cast lip system and this new form and this new tanning cream and this new way of doing ears and this new eye one this mount.

Then the next one was I wanna try this new form and this new preservative and these new earliners and this new way to do real lips and this new artificial nose and so forth.

The next one I wanna try...

I think it is more efficient, when running a business, to get a good efficient system for a quality mount and then gradually implement new things and eliminate others instead of try everything at once from mount to mount.

pir^2h likes this.