1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Choosing A Form. Please Help

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ramssl, Jan 12, 2021.

1. ramssl

ramssl New Member

I killed my first buck about 30 years ago, to make a long story short not sure how the taxidermist tanned the hide but after about 20 years the nose cracked and fell off along with the eyes cracking bad. I took it apart about 5 years ago to at least save the rack. The taxidermist I used is no longer around, he also robbed me of a fox I got and a $300 deposit.

I would like to try and redo it myself, heck I cant do much worse then he did lol.
    Here is one of the hides I am looking at. Screenshot_2021-01-12 Whitetail deer cape 7 25x16x17x18 - East Coast Capes.png

Description
    #13000 is a Whitetail deer cape 7.25x16x17x18 med-long hair, short incision, wet tan, November 9th Pennsylvania buck A- grade
    It says on their page that its AxCxBxD McKenzie measurements.
    My problem is I cant find a form to fit those measurements. Do you guys buy a little bigger form and stretch the hide?
    Screenshot_2021-01-12 8600 Series Semi-Upright.png Screenshot_2021-01-12 86-7117R.png Here is the page from Mckenzie with sizes, would the one I picked out work with this skin?
    I have the same problem no matter what hide I pick I cant find the size form, just wondering if you guys order the forms the size bigger and stretch the hide or how do you go about picking a form once to have the dimensions? Which measurement is the most important when choosing a form?
    Also if I buy one of these tanned hides do I need to freeze it until I'm ready to mount it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ramssl

ramssl New Member

Not only that he put something on the antlers and made them really dark, what can I do to fix them? thumbnail.jpg

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I would use the 63S-7117 Left or Right. East Coast’s capes usually have good stretch, but buying a larger form counting on getting stretch is risky business. The “A” measurement is not nearly as important as the B and C.

joeym likes this.
  4. ramssl

ramssl New Member

Here is another example. I am looking at a fox cape on east coast capes Screenshot_2021-01-12 Red fox life size 14 5x28 - East Coast Capes.png

Here are the sizes on McKenzie
    Screenshot_2021-01-12 Red Fox.png
    there are only 3 at 28" standing, lying on right and grooming. What if I want a different pose say RF-15 2 3/4 14 1/2 26 Standing, Front Feet on Stump, LT, CM
    Do you have to just alter the form to fit or search a different brand form?

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

17 inch neck is a small deer , how wide is that rack or what did your deer dress out at . Just thinking it was bigger then that

6. ramssl

ramssl New Member

Oh I see the C measurement on the one you sent me is only 1/2" smaller.
    TY so much for your help. Just out of curiosity What if I wanted a different pose say like a sneak, do you always go a little smaller on the form rather then bigger if there is nothing the sizes you have?

7. 13 point

You would go with a 7 1/4 17 if your going with that cape .

8. ramssl

ramssl New Member

Total width is 19 1/2" it dressed out at 145lb, I should of measured the neck when I took it apart but never did. The deer was in late sept in NJ so it wasn't in the rut or anything like that.

9. 13 point

Well with 19 1/2 inch spread at 145 I’d be willing to be he was at least a 19 1/2 to a 20 inch neck . You use that 17 inch cape you won’t be happy and I promise you it won’t look close to your deer when you killed it . JMO

10. ramssl

ramssl New Member

TY you so much I will take your advise since I know nothing about the sizes once mounted. I just didn't want to make it look bigger then it really was but I don't want it to look stupid either. It was a big deer it's a shame he ruined it on me, any ideas on what I can do with the antlers? they weren't that dark when I got him. TY so much for your help!

11. ramssl

ramssl New Member

Wow 13 Point your right I just measured my grandsons deer he got last year and the C measurement is 20" and my deer was bigger then his.
    ben.png

12. 13 point

Take some acetone or lacquer thinner on a rag and scrub it off

Then I would buy a 7 1/2 x 20 prerut cape to remount it with

13. ramssl

ramssl New Member

Will try that TY for all your help

14. 13 point

Welcome

15. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

I would get your skins first and measure them YOUR SELF. WTD capes are valued by size and condition, the seller some times exaggerates and will round up to get payed more.
    The 20 in measurement on the mounted WTD is over the hair and not the "MEAT" or form measurement. It would be a smaller size form (1-2inches maybe).
    Sounds like your first so you don't want issues with fit so I would buy the skin, measure my hide my self, get the size small vs larger. You can clay areas in the neck to add size. Face N-E measurement is to me the most important to me.

16. ramssl

ramssl New Member

TY jake7719 for your help and the heads up on the cape sizes. Yes this is my first as I would like to try and re-mount him myself. So if I wanted around a 20" neck I should be looking at skins about 21-22 inches? Then do you turn the skin inside out to get the measurement for the form? Also no one really answered me about the cape after I get it. Do I have to keep it in the freezer before I'm ready to mount it if its wet tanned? I don't want to wait to buy the cape if I find one but not sure on how to store it until I'm ready to mount it.

TY so much for all your help guys!

17. joey font

joey font Member

PA
    DSC05170  .jpg Turn it skin side out to measure it. If it is a short cut, fold it in half, stretch it, and measure right below the ear then double the measurement. For the photo included, a 20 inch form would be easier for you to mount. 21 inch would work, but it will be a little tight. Freeze it after you measure to get the correct form size.

18. ramssl

ramssl New Member

Awesome, the photo really helped! Was going to ask how long it will last in the freezer before I had to use it but with some research on here the basic answer was "until your freezer breaks" lol
    Thank you for your help

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021 at 5:44 AM
  19. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Won't that take off the natural color there by leaving a "bone white" color. I have rack I need to strip of the stain but was wanting to leave the natural look. Is there any way to do this that you know of?

20. 13 point

No it won’t take the natural color state away , it will take it down to what ever it was originally. Your not soaking it your just wetting and wipe or scrubbing it off , but you can soak if needed as I have never had an issue , if worried due a test run get an old antler or pcs and drop it in a bucket of thinner for a day , that should prove it to ya .

pir^2h likes this.